Cannot re-insert trigger plate screw

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
doublecanister

Cannot re-insert trigger plate screw

Post by doublecanister »

So I recently picked up a Model 8 in .32 Remington (made in 1926) and decided to disassemble and clean the rifle. Thanks to the You Tube videos I managed to re-assemble the rifle until I had to put the trigger assembly screw back in the rifle. The darn screw won't go back in. I made certain the trigger assembly was inserted property and everything lined up -- but the screw --and the main hammer pin -- won't go in, not even with a metal punch. I noticed in a few videos that others tend to have problems putting the screw back in. Does anyone have advice? The screw goes about half-way in -- before it reaches the threads on the other side of the receiver. What is the problem?

Thank you!!

TS
Todd
Remington Model 8, .35 Rem (1909)
Remington Model 8, .32 Rem (1926)
Remington Model 81, .35 Rem (1937)
Remington Model 81, .35 Rem (1941)
Remington Model 81, .300 Savage (1946)
Remington Model 81, 35 Rem (1948)
curdog

Re: Cannot re-insert trigger plate screw

Post by curdog »

You are almost there. I find a sharp whack on the back of the trigger guard with a wooden hammer handle will seat the plate assembly forward to assemble properly.
The tongue at the front is usually a pretty snug fit, in fact, you may be able to see a slight crack at the joint. This should close up.
Everything's got to be lined up just right.
doublecanister

Post by doublecanister »

Thanks. I got the pin in just fine, but still cannot get the screw in...it stops right before the threads. I will try to hammer the trigger assembly forward into the slot more securely --but since the pin is in, shouldn't the screw go in smoothly now? Ugh...
Todd
curdog

Post by curdog »

It ought to go in - unless you burred it a little bit upon removal.
Make sure you haven't confused it with the tang screw.
doublecanister

Post by doublecanister »

Still won't go in. I even removed the trigger assembly to see if the screw will go in to the receiver under no pressure -- nope. It is possible the screw threads on the RECEIVER were damaged at some point so they are not accepting the threads on the screw. Not sure how that could have happened. Its just not catching. If that is the case, not sure how to remedy that -- buy another receiver I guess?? Ugh.
Todd
curdog

Post by curdog »

Examine it closely for burrs - both the receiver and the screw. See if the screw will start into the thread from the opposite side - sometimes that will "iron" it out.

It's definitely not a candidate for a new receiver - this is a minor hitch.
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Try threading the screw in the receiver on the outside(right side of the receiver). This should alow you to clean out any bad threads on the inside of the receiver. If it won't go in from the outside, then the screw is the problem. Simply file off the first thread on the scew and all should be compatible. Good luck.

Be safe and enjoy life.

ROB
doublecanister

Post by doublecanister »

It turned out that the threads on the trigger assembly screw were damaged and weren't feeding into the threads on the receiver. I had to get my gunsmith to re-thread it. After I paid $80 for that, I was able to find a spare screw for $3....ugh. At least my rifle can be put back together now.
Todd
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I sure wished you would have followed my advise and sent me the $80.00. But, I am also glad you got the rifle up and going again.

Be safe and enjoy life.

ROB
doublecanister

Post by doublecanister »

Yeah, yeah. :lol:

When I encountered this problem last month, I went looking online for an extra screw..but couldn't find any. So I took the rifle to my gunsmith. Then, last week, I found screws for sale for $3 a screw. Needless to say, I am kicking myself for spending $80 to re-thread the original screw (it was not a job I could do myself).

At least my rifle can be put back together. Lesson learned: Look for cheap parts first, then go to a gunsmith.
Todd
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Yep....Searching is good and is part of the fun.Finding that elusive part to keep these and other old guns shooting is satisfying. From what you have said I`d have to make the "search" for another gunsmith the first priority. Eighty bucks to rethread a screw?? Give me a break !! Wish you`d send me his info.Would love to nominate him for the "Scrooge" award. Think he would be in the running for sure. Merry Christmas to you and hope that your Mr.Scrooge gets the well deserved proverbial lump of coal and cigar ashes.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."