Firing Pin Retaining Pin

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Johnhalf

Firing Pin Retaining Pin

Post by Johnhalf »

I bought a Model 81 with a broken Firing Pin Retaining Pin. There does not seem to be any available at this time. I can make a replacement but i am uncertain of the hardness for this pin. As it is important to the safety of the rifle I would not like to get this wrong.
Anyone have any experience with this? I am thinking it should be drawn to deep blue but would really value input.
"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." Jeff Cooper
Sarge756

Re: Firing Pin Retaining Pin

Post by Sarge756 »

The below link may provide the information you are looking for. It was interesting that he was dealing with something we had discussed here awhile back: Model 8`s with Model 81 barrel assemblies..... a Model 8 in 300 Savage . Perhaps you might contact him for info on the firing pin retaining pin he made.Hope this helps you and that the cautions to all about some of the "good deals" on old guns educates us all.
Joe

http://www.downeastgunworks.com/remingt ... parts-gun/
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Johnhalf

Re: Firing Pin Retaining Pin

Post by Johnhalf »

Thanks Sarge! Appreciate the guidance. I always expect this stuff with older rifles. It makes things interesting!
"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." Jeff Cooper
Johnhalf

Re: Firing Pin Retaining Pin Finished

Post by Johnhalf »

I had some time this week end and here is my new firing pin retaining pin.
New FPRP SM.jpg
New FPRP SM.jpg (85.82 KiB) Viewed 4874 times
Next off to the range to load one round at a time until I'm sure its not going to jam the pin in the forward position.
(What? Me worry?)