Simple Loose Flip-Up Aperture Fix?

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
xtimberman

Simple Loose Flip-Up Aperture Fix?

Post by xtimberman »

The tiny flip-up aperture in the "tang" sight mounted at the rear of the receiver on my M-8 is looser than it should be, and won't stay put during recoil. I'd like to tighten it up a bit, without having to resort to a "fix" that leaves it in one position or the other. Flipped up is good for sighting-in and load development - flipped down is good for the field and informal shooting at plates and such....but the M-8's substantial recoil moves it slightly every time I pull the trigger.

I've given the tiny retaining pin a squeeze on both ends with needle nose pliers, and that seemed to slightly tighten it - just not enough. I was thinking of applying an extremely tiny drop of thin model airplane cement to the pin with a toothpick to hopefully add friction and put it in more of a bind, but wanted to ask here first.
h.charlie

Re: Simple Loose Flip-Up Aperture Fix?

Post by h.charlie »

What type of sight, and pics would make easier for us to see if all the parts are there and if it is assembled correctly.
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

h.charlie wrote:What type of sight, and pics would make easier for us to see if all the parts are there and if it is assembled correctly.
Same sight as on the rifle in the banner photo at the top of the page of this forum. (Marbles?) I've had sights like this before on other rifles - just not with a loose hinge on the small aperture. The dab of polystyrene cement on the hinge pin seems to work for now. I'll post a photo later.
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

photos deleted

Before slightly pinching the hinge with needle nose pliers and before adding the tiny drop of polystyrene cement to the hinge pin of the small aperture...it would end up in a half-way position after firing every shot. Even though this is a temporary fix, the aperture will stay put - up or down - for now. No doubt, it will loosen-up with repeated use...but I'll just apply another tiny drop of cement with a toothpick. I'm always open to better solutions.
Last edited by xtimberman on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
h.charlie

Post by h.charlie »

wow, my marbles sight doesn't do that, does your say marble gladstone on the side I'm not sure but you might have the Lyman sight, they look very simular but I wouldn't know for sure as I'm only familiar with my marble sight, witch the aperture just screws and isn't as cool with that flip up feature.
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

h.charlie wrote:wow, my marbles sight doesn't do that, does your say marble gladstone on the side I'm not sure but you might have the Lyman sight, they look very simular but I wouldn't know for sure as I'm only familiar with my marble sight, witch the aperture just screws and isn't as cool with that flip up feature.
You are correct. After examining the various sights in one of the old brochure downloads, I now believe a Lyman #2 is mounted on my rifle.

EDIT:
Gee...I still don't know for sure. It looks identical to the Marbles R6 photograph in the "Sights and Scopes" section of the Great Model 8 website.....? It has no Gladstone address or patent #s stamped anywhere.