Barrel rust removel

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Vwl

Barrel rust removel

Post by Vwl »

[attachment=2]image.jpg[/attachment]Hello,
I have an older model 8 that has three rust spots on the barrel. It seemed that the former owner tried to remove them thus it looks like the blueing was rubbed off somewhat. I have only tried a little 3 in 1 oil on them and rubbed lightly with a white scotch rite pad. But I stopped in fear of ruining the finish more. My question is, should I be more aggressive in removing them or just keep it oils and leave them alone. If I do remove them, is re-blueing suggested? The rest of the rifle is in good shape. I have pictures, but unsure how many I can post. I may have to re post. Thanks.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (671.49 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (695.57 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (544.09 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
Roger

Re: Barrel rust removel

Post by Roger »

Sir, I would never suggest that anyone reblue any collectable firearm. There's a product called the Frontier Big 45 ,it's a steel wool type pad, but really isn't steel wool. It's the very best rust removal product that i know of.
It looks like your rifle is a very early m8. Probably 1st year ,maybe even 1st week production. To mess it up in anyway would be a mistake, in my opinion. Most of us here on this forum would really like to own such an earl m8.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

I second all that Roger advised. The Frontier 45 is an excellent product. The spots on the barrel jacket may respond with it but they look to be pretty deep. You might also try the 'old penny' technique on them. Use a pre 64 pure copper penny only. Apply a good penetrating oil (Kroil is my favorite) and use the edge of the penny to scrape away the rust. Don`t be afraid to use pressure as the soft copper won`t damage the finish further. An all over burnish with the Frontier pad and penetrate and you are done.
You do have a "find" here with this being a first year Model 8. When you complete the procedures we`d love to see some more 'pitchers'.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Vwl

Post by Vwl »

Thank you Roger and Sarge. I will follow your suggestions. I just didn't want to let the rust get any worse if I could help it. I will post pictures when I finish. Hopefully, I can do a good job. I will also post some pictures in the 8/81 pictures forum. I would hope that everything is original on this rifle, but i am so far from being an expert. I can always take more pictures too. Thanks again gentleman.