Barrel Nut Wrench, Must Have?

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Seedsntrees

Barrel Nut Wrench, Must Have?

Post by Seedsntrees »

Just secured a Mdl 81 300 Savage. Gun is of the 1946 vintage, super great shape. Redfield peep sight!

Gun shoots great! 1-1/2 inch group @ 100 with hand loads of 170 grain Nosler Round Nose. Fine for Wisconsin Deer.

Question for all those with experience with this gun:

Must I invest in a barrel spanner wrench to remove the barrel for maintenance?

Since today we have a variety of spray cleaners / lube / rust preventive oils, etc..would that be enough to apply to the barrel spring assembly without tearing it apart?

I tried that, and had very little dirt / discolored oil from the barrel end, but want to ask the question.

Sometimes, it is better to leave well enough alone........

Thanks, just a super great rifle to fire and an asset to the gun safe until next November.

Mark
Phyrbird

Re: Barrel Nut Wrench, Must Have?

Post by Phyrbird »

Phyrbird
SOKY
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Mark,
"Must I invest ? " Perhaps not if you have just the one Model 81 and it is functioning properly. Based on the amount you shoot it you might be ok without a full tear down for years. But....we know from experience that having just "one" of these old rifles isn`t the usual. They seem to have an affinity to attract others in different calibers and configurations to keep them company. Knowing this it might be good to be prepared with the proper tool for the one that does need the maintenance.
Making your own tool is an option.Members have posted in past threads different ways to make a workable tool for less than the price of the ones offered for sale. I see Fleabay has a seller offering the tool for around $75 shipped. Seems when I purchased mine from another vendor it was about the same. I tend to proscribe to the "You can`t have too many tools" school of thought so am glad to have it in the shop . Will say that the tool I bought and the one I see offered seem to be quality tools that are worth the money.
Last thought for you is that until you take one of these old girls apart and do a reassembly you won`t have a full appreciation of the genius of John Browning and your rifle.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
jim18611865

Post by jim18611865 »

I grabbed one of those Ebay wrenches. It was perfect.
I didn't feel comfortable knowing mine, likely hadn't been opened in almost 80 years.
I was pleasantly surprised to find very clean internals and no rust. Plus it was fun!

Jim
Seedsntrees

Post by Seedsntrees »

Thanks for the input.

I like to make my own specialty tools etc, however, the Ebay tool looks pretty good.

For a rifle that old with moving parts that who knows when it was cleaned, I think I'm going to tear it down for peace of mind..

Besides Browning Built It That Way...

OUT!
Seedsntrees

Post by Seedsntrees »

Well, I went to my workshop and built a wrench.

The springs, barrel etc. are in great shape. Came apart real easy.

Glad I took it apart, now have a better understanding of the recoil operation.

The design was ahead of it's time in history. Well built.

Also, the spray application of G-96 did a super job of lube and preventive. I would suggest that application of spray to all that do not take the barrel apart. Works great.

I might not ever go into that cleaning again, but was fun to see just what is in there! HA!

Thanks....
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

I have the barrel wrench from a member on here and one from ebay.com on order.

I'll post full reviews on both tools once I get those, the "new" rifles, and a chance to take those apart.