In Need Of A Screw

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Wildgoose

In Need Of A Screw

Post by Wildgoose »

See pic, I have a stripped butt stock screw on my M81 30Rem. I was planning on using it this deer season and discovered a loose butt stock just before the season opener. Seems that the original screw has suffered from wear and has had the threads flattened to the point it will not hold tension and tighten up any longer. Fortunately the receiver extension is harder than the screw so it will work. I tried the screw from another of my 81's and it works fine. So, if anyone has a source for one or a spare to sell please let me know. I have checked and Numrich Arms is out of stock on this item.
And for you guys who thought I may be talking about some other type of "screw" shame on you! :lol:
Sarge756

Re: In Need Of A Screw

Post by Sarge756 »

Those screws do have a tendency to strip due to misalignment on reassembly. The tang is sprung somewhat and makes it difficult to get it to line up straight. Many of us here have had success with the hard to find screws for our 8`s and 81`s by contacting Joe Petrone at Aperturesnmore email is joe@aperturesnmore.com . If he doesnt have it he can probably make you one or at least advise you what thread pitch it is for rethreading. When you get the new one try clamping the upper and lower tangs and you may find it easier to get the screw started and prevent cross threading . Wish you success.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Sarge756 wrote:Those screws do have a tendency to strip due to misalignment on reassembly. The tang is sprung somewhat and makes it difficult to get it to line up straight. Many of us here have had success with the hard to find screws for our 8`s and 81`s by contacting Joe Petrone at Aperturesnmore email is joe@aperturesnmore.com . If he doesnt have it he can probably make you one or at least advise you what thread pitch it is for rethreading. When you get the new one try clamping the upper and lower tangs and you may find it easier to get the screw started and prevent cross threading . Wish you success.
Joe
Many thanks Joe for the information and contact. E-mail inquiry sent to Mr. Petrone this evening.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

If it's an early 81 I have found some were not drilled deep enough in the hole for the spring tube. Be aware this could cause the screw to get crossed.
Phyrbird
SOKY