Replacing my firing pin

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
VTRem35

Replacing my firing pin

Post by VTRem35 »

Howdy,

I just got my 1930 .35 Rem Model 8 back from East Coast Bluing with a nice new rust blue job. It looks great, I'll get some pics up soon.

However, it came back with a broken firing pin, discovered out on the range yesterday. Bummer not to get to shoot it.

I was lucky enough to find not one, but THREE firing pins in the butt of the gun when I got it. (along with some very old strike anywhere matches)

I have taken the receiver apart before and can get the bolt out of the gun in 10-15 min.

The bolt looks pretty straight forward from the diagrams and I'm confident I have the skills to replace the firing pin, IF it's as straight forward as it seems. I'm hoping if anyone knows something I don't will speak up now and stop me from doing it if it's very tough and needs any special tools (though I have made my own for the take down of the barrel)

Thanks,

Kendall
Sarge756

Re: Replacing my firing pin

Post by Sarge756 »

:D Lucky you to have "3 spares" included with your 8. That`s about a hundred+ $$ in parts. Smart fellow somewhere in the past had them at the ready.He must have been a good Boy Scout. While back we shared some stories of items found under the buttplates of old guns .I posted finding a hundred dollar bill while restoring a Browning "Sweet Sixteen" for an older gentleman. When he passed a few years later I mentioned his penchant of hiding money to his children and perhaps a close examination of items from the estate might be in order before disposing of them.True to form they found several thousand dollars hidden in furniture etc.
You are home free if you can have the bolt out in 15 minutes. No special tools needed for firing pin. Take a look at attached link and it should equip you for the job. Let us know how she shoots when you get her back together.
Joe

https://www.flickr.com/photos/buster_ch ... il/?page=8

*** If you click on the thumbnails it will enlarge and give you a description of each process.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."