Firing Pin springs

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
gunbob1911

Firing Pin springs

Post by gunbob1911 »

Hello all I am new to the Forum and just purchased my first Remington model 8 last week. The gun would not fire and thanks to the great instructions on this web site I was able to disassemble the bolt and found a broken firing pin. I have a new pin on order from Jack First however my Rifle is missing the firing pin springs which caused the problem. Jack first does not have any springs for the firing pin .Any suggestions ?
81police

Re: Firing Pin springs

Post by 81police »

gunbob1911,

It all really depends on when your Model 8 was manufactured. Early Model 8's were not made with firing pin nor firing pin buffer springs. This is normal.

Oh, and welcome to the forums also :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
gunbob1911

Post by gunbob1911 »

Ok thanks for the reply. Next question is where is the source to determine date of manufacture ?
81police

Post by 81police »

read the first two paragraphs of this page, this should get you in the right direction,

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=450
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
gunbob1911

Post by gunbob1911 »

Ok thanks for the info. Mine was made in 1934. I have the new firing pin and have it put back together in the bolt without the springs. I cant say for sure but I do not think the previous owner had taken it apart that far and maybe forgot about the springs. This gun was in a house fire. It never got burned but everything on it was covered in smoke residue. I am trying to restore it and will hot blue it myself. Do you think I am ok without the firing pin springs with the 1934 date of manufacture?
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/993600.htm

Go to above link. They have your firing pin spring in stock. Your 1934 model did have the spring.It was there for a reason.Order one. Congrats on the work to restore the fire victim.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
gunbob1911

Post by gunbob1911 »

Thanks Sarge for the info,got the springs on the way from NY. Thanks for the info and will keep you posted .
johnski

Post by johnski »

81 police/Sarge756:

I too just picked up a model 8 in 35 Rem. It's a 1916, sn/37,xxx.

After disassembly for cleaning, I noticed some prior owner made the firing pin. It does work, but for how long, who knows. I ordered a new Glend Arms one from MidwayUSA, (product# 941241) and was wondering if this will work and/or will I have to modify it in any way?

Like gunbob1911 above, there were no springs around the handmade firing pin.
Were firing pin springs used in 1916?
Or should I add them?
Or will they not fit & don't bother?

Also, the rifling looks very strong, but I haven't taken it to the range yet. What average group size are these rifles are capable of??

Thanks!
johnski

Post by johnski »

Well, at least I got one question answered: it's grouping just under 1" @ 50yds. That should get better when (if) it warms up & I can work with it more.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

That's good to hear, sounds like you got a straight shooter.
Congrats
Phyrbird
SOKY
johnski

Post by johnski »

Ah! Did more searching & found this, which seems to have answered all my questions:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3211