barrel jacket moves in all directions

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
uhjohnson

barrel jacket moves in all directions

Post by uhjohnson »

I have read the thread loose barrel jacket but my problem goes a step farther. Not only do I have rotational movement, I have longitudinal, lateral and diagonal. this tells me the threads are bad, either the head, jacket or both depending on which is the hardest metal, they are probably the same. I don't think a new pin will fix it but I will try it first. If it is both head and jacket then it seems logical to loc-tight it and use a new pin, what can it hurt. It can still be taken apart to maintain the jacket internals. I will also put a note in the butt stock telling what was done. any unforseen problems

Thanks
Attachments
20140117_141011.jpg
20140117_141011.jpg (78.93 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
Wildgoose

Re: barrel jacket moves in all directions

Post by Wildgoose »

Interesting issue. I would wonder if possible the pin is missing or sheared off and the jacket is actually a turn or two out allowing for it to move in and out. Seems hard for it to do that as the threads on the head and jacket are very fine. I will be interested in hearing what you find.