Bolt keeps locking open

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
ETDM

Bolt keeps locking open

Post by ETDM »

After viewing this web site I decided I needed to own one of these great model 81's. I found a nice .300 savage built in 1949, and just got it. Took it to the range today and have a problem with it.
After each shot the bolt locks back like it was the last round, but the magazine still has rounds in it. All I have to do is push the bolt release button down and it cycles as it should. When the bolt is closed the release button has spring pressure holding it down, but when the bolt locks open and there are still rounds in the magazine there is no pressure holding the release button down.
I am shooting factory Federal 180gr loads. Is it possible the recoil is too heavy? One time out of 25 Rounds it cycled as it should but I did not change anything on the gun or my shooting style.
Les Staley

Re: Bolt keeps locking open

Post by Les Staley »

I too would like to know..my 81 of the same vintage sometimes does the same thing...thanks for asking this question..Les
ETDM

Post by ETDM »

After studying the parts breakdown and the field service manual posted on this site, I figured out the problem. The magazine indicator spring had come out of the slot in the side of the receiver and was sticking up. Since the spring was sticking up, with the bolt closed it would hold the bolt catch down, but when the bolt was open there was not pressure on the spring and the recoil would flip the bolt catch up.
The magazine indicator spring must have been out of the slot for a long time because it was worn quite thin from the bolt running over the top of it, so the bolt staying open must of been a problem for the prior owner. Might be why the gun was sold so cheap.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
That's pretty good work on your part. I'm sorry that no one that knew the answer had read your post. It's really good to know this info,since I buy and shoot alot of these old rifles. Thanks for posting your findings.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed, learning new stuff all the time. Welcome aboard... thanks for the detective work.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ETDM

Post by ETDM »

Thanks for the reply's.
This is a great site for a great rifle.