bolt won't release: I am a true noob!

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Adam Lee

bolt won't release: I am a true noob!

Post by Adam Lee »

Folks,

I am honestly going to admit to my true noob status up front. Roger can certainly confirm this for everyone!

So, here's why I am admitting that I am a Model 8 noob today. As excited as I was to receive the old gun from Roger, I could not help myself from beginning to strip it down once I had the time. I really dig the simple enough way these rifles break down into two "halves" for transport and maintenance.

Here is the status: I broke down and reassembled the barrel to the receiver twice, mainly because I was dealing with my initial "irrational exuberance" of the system, with no problem. The third or so time I was fiddling around, I locked the bolt firmly into the rearmost position before I removed the barrel. Now, the barrel lock/bolt release does not allow the bolt to release or barrel to lock up. Even with the combined three-hand strategy of pushing down on the mag follower, bolt release lever, and easing the bolt handle back & forth it won't move.

Essentially, I just need to get some wisdom on returning the bolt to battery or forward position, so that I can put the barrel on once again.
Did I "overtravel" the bolt carrier too far back? I don't get what secret handshake I am missing here. Looked over the video guides and the disassembly photo albums Cam has linked here.

I really think I just don't have the right "English" on my three-handed (lol) bolt release strategy. What say ye?

Thanks, guys. I am just a noob, plain and simple.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
ROBOPUMP

Re: bolt won't release: I am a true noob!

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Put the barrel back on and everything should work just fine.
81police

Post by 81police »

Adam,

Unless there is a part broken, if you have the barrel assembly attached, and hit the bolt release the bolt should ride forward. Pushing down on the follower shouldn't do anything, it's the barrel lock that needs to be manipulated (which is generally what happens when you push the bolt release lever). You could try to press down on the bolt release & press down on the humped portion of the barrel lock.

Also a little tech tip for breaking the rifle down into two pieces: when I remove the barrel assembly I always have the bolt carrier in the forward position with the hammer dropped. You have to be cautious if you take the rifle down with the bolt carrier locked back because after you've taken the barrel off, if you were to accidentally hit the bolt release (with the safety off) that operating handle will slam forward into the receiver and booger it up.

Hope you get it fixed!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

thanks Cam. I will just take it easy and get to it after work.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

All is well.

Just a little hung up, and I was being too gentle. A kindly-delivered couple of whacks with a gloved hand did the trick - the bolt went back to battery.

Adam

now, a bit more than a noob....
Roger

Post by Roger »

Adam,i've had the same problem.Cam is right though about leaving the bolt forward when removing the barrel assembly. For what ever reason, it won't release after disassembly when the bolt is locked back. I have no explanation for it, but I know it does it to me too. Just take it apart with the bolt forward. You may have to wiggle it a little to get the bolt loose from the barrel extension. But it doesn't take much to make it come loose. Just holler if you have any more trouble. Somebody here on the forum will surely have an answer. This forum is awesome.
Thanks
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Eterry

Post by Eterry »

Adam Lee, don't feel so bad...I did the same exact thing today, and spend the better part of the afternoon looking thru reference material and diagrams before I got on here and found the answer, I was on the verge of calling Brownell's...man did I feel stupid. live and learn.

Eterry
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Gents,

When the barrel is removed the barrel lock is in the position to hold the bolt back. Just like the rifle has been fired. There is a small nub on the bottom left of the barrel that releases the barrel lock. When the action is pulled back with the barrel removed the bolt lock holds the bolt open. If one mistakenly releases the bolt lock, the magazine indicator, and pulls the bolt back at the same time the bolt can go forward. WITH NO BARREL to stop the bolt carrier. The bolt carrier could slip from your fingers and the operating handle will goober up the receiver at least. This is the probable cause of the pictures I've seen on this forum of the operating handle tee slot key broke. I recommend if you release the bolt carrier with the barrel removed be very careful, be sure to control the forward travel of the bolt.
:geek:
Another note: When I received my 30 Rem SLR it came broke down. When I assembled the barrel I didn't notice the position of the bolt. It had rotated in shipping, rough handling. The action would not close, :cry: I thought something was wrong. In dinking around The bolt rotated back into open position. Somehow I had pulled forward on the rotated bolt. :oops: If your action is slick enough the bolt can rotate in the carrier to the closed position with the action open.... To correct all you have to do is pull forward on the bolt and extractor.
Hope this helps ;)
Phyrbird
SOKY