full mag only jam

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
btinlin

full mag only jam

Post by btinlin »

Hello fine folks!
I have a model 81 in .35 Rem. complete with Redfield peep and Marbles flip-up sights. Unfortunately, the magazine indicator spring was broken. My gunsmith said that the magazine was also slightly bent on top (the portion inside the receiver next to to mag. indicator spring). He repaired the distorted magazine as well. The gun functions perfectly with one, two, three, or four rounds in the magazine. With five cartridges loaded, the first round goes bang, then the next round jams. This happens every time with five rounds loaded. If I start out with four or less loaded in the mag., no problemo. Any ideas on my dilemma?
Wildgoose

Re: full mag only jam

Post by Wildgoose »

Hi btinlin,
Interesting question as it has come up before. I have a M81 in .300 Savage that I cannot load more than four rounds in. When I asked about this some of the listers responded that they too could not load more than four rounds as well. This was also noted by a few with the M81 in .35 Rem. One reported he could load five but the top round was always chambered when the bolt was closed. In my case I can't get any more than four in the mag. If I wanted five I would have to place the last round in the chamber push the four loaded down far enough to let the bolt go over them and close on the round in the chamber. Not a good idea in my opinon so I just go with four rounds. I realize this really doesn't answer what is going on with your gun but your not the only one out there who has had issues with five in the mag on the M81 in .300 Sav and .35 Rem. It should be interesting to see what others have to add on this.
Just for drill I checked with my M8 in .35 Rem and I can get five in the mag but the top round will always chamber on closing the bolt. I dont recall ever having any issue with jams with it though.
h.charlie

Post by h.charlie »

If the mag spring is put in facing the wrong direction it can lead to feeding problems, Don't know if this would cause your problem but that's where I would start.
btinlin

Post by btinlin »

Thank you for your replies. I will take a look at the magazine spring this weekend.
81police

Post by 81police »

just a footnote to the great info the guys above posted: the magazine spring in period literature was almost always showed installed backwards. The ends of the spring should face the rear of the magazine.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

I'm no magazine expert,but in John Henwoods book most pictures which are vintage Remington literature,there are 4 rounds in the magazine . I do know that i have 35/300 savage rifles that will only accept 4 rds.I don't know if this has any thing to do with your issue, but in one quote in his book he does say that in the first early rifles in 35 Cal.,only held 4 rds.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

great point Roger! Say if you were going to load the magazine via stripper clips you would not put 5 rounds in the clip but 4. The 35's & 300's only held 4.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
btinlin

Post by btinlin »

Ok, I haven't taken a look at the orientation of the magazine spring yet... But to continue with the 4 or 5 capacity dilemma. I can physically fit 5 cartridges in the mag and the bolt closes properly. I can also fit 5 rounds into the original stripper clips I have. Should my Woodsmaster (circa 1942 mfg.) really only be 4 shot, even though 5 .35 Rem. rounds fit?
curtisc

Post by curtisc »

It should hold 5 rounds in the mag before closing the action after closing it ahould have 4 in the mag and 1 in the chamber
btinlin

Post by btinlin »

Alrighty, it would appear that the magazine spring was installed backwards (ends toward muzzle). Now it's time to go test that baby...
81police

Post by 81police »

excellent! Hope it functions without flaw
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
retiredtroop66

Post by retiredtroop66 »

Last year I purchased a model 8 in 30 Remington in almost unfired condition. According to the barrel code, the gun was made about 1931-1932. I have the same problem as some of the rest of you do. Regardless of how I attempt to load the mag, either singly or with a stripper clip, the mag will hold only 4 rounds. The 5th round will almost enter the mag but is about 1/4" short. There doesn't seem to be any obstruction in the mag as the follower goes all the way to the bottom freely and bottoms out nicely, but 4 rounds seems to be the limit.
Does anyone know if this is a defect or were some of these guns just made to hold four?
It's not really causing any problems, I'd just like to find out one way or the other.
Thanks!
moses

Post by moses »

My-model-8-35 will only-hold 4 in the mag.
ltrr1971

Post by ltrr1971 »

Remington has always stated that the 35 Remington Model 8 will only hold 4 rounds in the magazine, not 5.
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

if it works fine with 4+1, why push it?
War Eagle!
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

My 81 in .300 holds 4 in the mag, which, all things considered, is plenty for most chores.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
retiredtroop66

Post by retiredtroop66 »

Agree...actually my first thought: "Four works." More curious than anything. I'd heard the 35's and 300's held 4 but had always read and been told that the 30's, 25's, etc. would hold 5...was also wondering if perhaps someone had "plugged" the mag, so to speak like a modern repeating shotgun, but then this gun was made before "magazine restrictions." It's possible I may have the same problem the dude above had...mag spring in backwards. I haven't had time to take it apart to see. I guess that's the next step.
Thanks and Merry Christmas!