81 Extraction issues

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Pitchy

81 Extraction issues

Post by Pitchy »

Hello, new here, did some reading and looked the bolt over the best i could but can`t figure out what the problem is.
I have a model 81 in 35 Rem that has just started having a extraction and ejection issue.
It worked last time i shot it about a year ago and has set in the safe since.
No rust anywhere and action is oiled up good.
Ok, when operating the bolt by hand to unload the shell comes back about halfway of bolt travel then falls out of the bolt and lays on the magazine.
The first few times i operated the bolt this morning it ejected the bullets but then stopped working.
I loaded up five rounds and went out and fired them and it functioned fine.
Would appreciate your help.
The ejector plunger and spring are stiff and work freely, ther is a bevel on the ejector plunger
The extractor seems to grip the case well, if i remove the barrel and put a shell under the extractor it has a lot of tension on it and if i let it go it flips off.
A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
Pitchy

Re: 81 Extraction issues

Post by Pitchy »

Ok, i have the gun stripped down and the bolt out but can`t figure out how to remove the extractor.
I can see now that is the problem, if i can get it off and bend it a little i think the problem would be solved.

USAF-72-76
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Figured it out, tweeked the extractor a little, put it back together and the shells eject right smartly.
Safety works , everything functioning well. :D

USAF-72-76
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Love a happy ending.

Welcome aboard.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks. :)

If someone would be so kind as to explain what happend in regards to the movement of the bolt and parts upon firing.
I realize there is a difference between working the action by hand and firing.
What i would like to know is the relationship between the bolt and the barrel upon firing, does the barrel follow the bolt and eject the shell as the barrel returns forward?
Thank you.

Also in regards to the extractor tension, how much is to much. Can to much tension slow the rotation of the bolt to much?
Also explain how the rotation prinsiple of the bolt.
Please excuse my poor use of the proper names of the parts.

USAF-72-76
81police

Post by 81police »

Pitchy, glad to hear you have solved the extraction/ejection issues.

You are correct about how the action functions under recoil. It is different than when you operate it by hand. Upon recoil, after the round has left the muzzle, the bolt and barrel, locked together, begin to move rearward with the empty brass case inside, all the while compressing the recoil, buffer, and action springs.. Once the bolt reaches the back of the receiver, the barrel & bolt unlock and the barrel begins traveling forward while the bolt remains rearward. As the barrel moves forward (by the recoil spring) the empty brass case is held by the extractor and once clear of the barrel is ejected. There is a small notch on the bottom of the barrel extension which trips over the barrel lock and releases the bolt to come forward (which is pushed by the action spring in the stock), thus picking up a fresh cartridge from the magazine and into the chamber. Ready for another round of shoulder pounding!

A much better description of the action can be found at the link below. It's a short video of an FBI agent demonstrating the 8/81 action.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675 ... ington-gun
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks for the link, yepper that`s how i thought it worked.
The rotation of the bolt still confuses me, does it lock the barrel to the bolt?
Or is that just a cushion effect on the shell when fired.
The tension i have on the extractor puts a little drag on that rotation and it doesn`t want to come back to the vertical position very freely.

USAF-72-76
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Ok, i took it all apart again and lightened the extractor pressure so there was a slight drag when pushing it and the bolt lock plunger in.
I think i`m correct that that is what the rotating plunger is.
Haven`t shot it yet but the ammo cycles nicely through it by hand.
I`ll shoot it and update around noon.
Thanks.

USAF-72-76
Roger

Post by Roger »

I'm glad to welcome you to the forum. There are many good people here that can help you with just about anything involving rem.8/81 s. But it sounds like you're pretty mechanically inclined and may have worked out your extraction/ejection issues on your own. I hope so. I was surprised to find out on one ocassion that a bent link was causing my 300 savage m-81 to have ejection problems. I think that the abrupt recoil from 300 sav. Caused the link to get bent,but that's just a theory. Just the same, once it was replaced, it now ejects perfectly. Hopefully your issues are over. Good luck at the range.
Thanks for your time ,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Roger.
When i had it apart i put the bolt against the end of the barrel and pushed it home.
That showed me exactally how the bolt lock rotates and how when the barrel comes forward when firing it pulls the plunger forward again.

Also someone has had this gun apart and didn`t have the flat V shaped spring under the peg.
The last shot hold open never worked but it does now after hooking the spring.
I shot a video of shooting the gun and some stripper clips that i`m using.
As soon as i can get this puter down work good enough to down load it i`ll post it.

USAF-72-76
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Got the picture downloaded but not the video but will eventually.
The clips are 1967 Nam bandoleers with 7.62 clips, they seem to work fine.

USAF-72-76
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Finally got it uploaded, hope ya like it. :)
50 yards at a steel gong.

USAF-72-76
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Oh my, another video... how cool is that! 8-)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Roger

Post by Roger »

Pitch, it looks alike it ejects with great force now ,as it should. The video is cool but I can't even figure out how to post pics with my tablet computer. It's the only one I have so i have to send any pics I want to post to cameron so he can post them for me. He is very helpful and kind when it comes to helping other members. I'm glad your rifle is fixed and now you can concentrate on having fun with it. Is it the only one you have right now? If it is then it won't be long before another one shows up at your house,I predict. Be very careful of the dreaded jackitis that we all talk about here on the forum. Have fun@ thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Be very careful of the dreaded jackitis that we all talk about here on the forum.
I`m going to have to learn about that :)
I only have this one 81 but would like to have a 8 someday.

Is my info about the stripper clips old news?

USAF-72-76
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Great video. We have talked about stripper clips off and on for sometime. I can't recall seeing a post about this particular stripper clip. Are they readily available or ar the as hard to find as the Remington clips? Are the prices reasonable?

Regards,

jack1653
texassako

Post by texassako »

I have those same clips and recently figured out they work in my M81 .35 Rem and fit the slots in one M8 but not the other. Those don't matter since they are not .35 or .300 Savage. Recently fit some .25-06 onto it; so figured they would work for .300 as well. A handful loaded makes it real handy at the shooting range, just load them up and shoot: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2442 Welcome, and nice video by the way.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Idea of using those clips has been kicked around some but you're the first to show us that they really do work. And, if I understand correctly, they are fairly cheap and realatively easy to find. Good job.
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks guys, Gander MT a few years back was selling 400 round ammo cans full of bandoleers full of ammo and these clips.
I had a DPMS AR in 308 at the time so i bought a few cans.
I`ve since sold the gun and the ammo but kept the bandoleers and the clips.
I think they are easy to find, mine are for 308 and the 35 Rem`s fit them nicely.
They have a little nub on the edge that keeps them from going down to far in the action.
Fellers i can`t find any faults with them.

USAF-72-76
81police

Post by 81police »

GREAT video Pitchy, love it :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks, i have fun shooting videos :)

USAF-72-76
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

I could part with a few clips if a couple of you guys want to try them.
Pm me your address and i`ll mail ya a couple, i`ll only take the first five pm`s at this time. :)

USAF-72-76
texassako

Post by texassako »

If anyone else wants to try the clips, they are real cheap: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =305665988 I think Cam needs a bandoleer of them for his project rifle.
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

A couple observations after fussing with mine a few times.
First the extractor needs to be adjusted so there is just enough tension to hold the case in the bolt but not so much tension it puts unnecessary drag on the bolt rotation.
As far as the bolt hanging up and not rotating back to the vertical position. It can only be pushed back when hand cycling when it strips off a round from the magazine.
I stretched the firing pin spring a little that added more return force to the bolt and now it doesn`t push in or turn as easy when loading a round.
I wonder if that spring doesn`t loose some of its tension over time.
That is a couple things i learned if anyone disagrees or has anything to add please do. :)

USAF-72-76