Safety Bead

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
jack1653

Safety Bead

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I want to give a heads up on an issue that had not happened to me before. :? I have taken several of the 8 & 81's apart over the years and for the first time I lost the little bead, (my descriptiopn) that rests in a depression on the receiver under the safety lever. I new there was a bead there and I always assumed that it was fixed in place. The bead is used to position the safety lever in position whether on or off safety by going into one of the two depressions on the backside of the safety lever. I was preparing a rifle for an upcoming project by lightly buffing the area under the safety lever and I managed to dis-lodge the tiny bead sometime during the buffing process. :( GONE FOREVER! What to do now? :?:

I called 81police for advice and suggestions. :D I told Cam that I thought the bead off of a light pull chain would work and ir did but was concerned that after time it might collapse. :idea: After awile, he called back to inform me that there was a little tiny hole in the depression that went to the inside of the receiver. :shock: He was gracious enough to get me another bead by removing one from his parts receiver. Maybe Cam will share with us how he got the bead out of the rifle. I know that I tried to remove one from a parts receiver and was not successful even by heating and using a small chisle. It would not come out.

This is not a big deal, but I thought I would share yet another first for me with these rifles.

Regards,

jack1653
Roger

Re: Safety Bead

Post by Roger »

Thanks once again to Jack@Cameron for good usable info. I've had alot of receivers apart for thourogh cleaning etc. And have not seen this happen but, now that they have advised us, I'll be alot more careful when taking them apart.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
ranman

Re: Safety Bead

Post by ranman »

I bought a 25 and discovered the same problem,the little ball was gone. I cleaned the hole out with a needle then fit a few ball bearings untill I got the right size, which was one eighth of an inch in diameter. Make sure the hole that goes all the way through is clear then add a drop of black max loctite 380 to the hole. Place the ball in and tap once to set the bearing in place then cure overnite. I have only done this once and its just like new and functions flawlessly. The hardest part is waiting untill you can play with it. :lol: