Lyman sight

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
PowderFlask

Lyman sight

Post by PowderFlask »

Gentlemen
On my new to me 81 that I have owned for a couple of weeks, there also came a Lyman rear tang sight which I know nothing about.

I have figured out how to adjust the stem to get it vertical, but is there some way to lock the staff from moving once set?

I am refering here to the vertical adjustment, it would seem that once set for a specific yardage, during handling the stem/shaft screw could be inadvertantly turned and elevation would change........is there some way to keep the adjusting nut from turning once set?

By the by, I have shot the rifle a total of 46 times so far and after having adjusted the barrel sights can readily bust pieces of clay pigeons at a measured 50 yards offhand with old eyes.......time to move to 100 yards I guess!

Thanks for your help
Gary
Roger

Re: Lyman sight

Post by Roger »

I've got several tang peep sights . Some are Lyman ,some are Marbles. I don't believe my lymans have a lock for ververtical adjustment. The Marbles do have a second ring which locks against the other one. Some of my Lymans have a lock lever down on the left side to lock it while up or down. That's the only lock that I know they have. Hope this helps you although it may not be the answer you wanted to hear. There may be another way and I'm not aware of it. Thanks, Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com