Remingtom M81 Front Sling Swivel Mounting

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
DWalt

Remingtom M81 Front Sling Swivel Mounting

Post by DWalt »

The threaded sling swivel hole in my M81 barrel jacket is just a standard 10-32 NF size, and the engagement of the screw in the hole is just slightly more than three turns before the end of the screw touches the barrel.

The 10-32 NF screw seems to be standard for all front sling swivels that have the threaded and splined bushing that mounts in wood stock fore ends (I have several sling swivel sets, and checked this). All that would actually be needed to mount any front swivel with screw into the Remington threaded jacket hole is to cut the screw off so that only three threads protrude. That might require threading the unthreaded part of the screw shank further up toward the swivel first. That's no trick at all to do if you have a 10-32 NF threading die and die holder.

It may not be factory authentic, but it is possible to mount about any sling swivel set you may have onto your M81 barrel jacket and stock. I don't know if M8s have a threaded barrel jacket hole for a sling swivel or not.

If you do mount a swivel into the lower buttstock, they usually mount with a wood screw. Be EXTREMELY careful about how you drill the hole, as even though it appears to be a simple job, I've seen many messed-up sling swivel installations. Drill a hole smaller than the wood screw thread perpendicular to the slope of the lower wood surface, and don't rush it. Use a punch to make a starter hole before you drill. I suggest putting a piece of masking or duct tape over the wood where you intend to drill to protect it before you do anything.
Sarge756

Re: Remingtom M81 Front Sling Swivel Mounting

Post by Sarge756 »

Thanks for the tips Dewalt. True enough that would work. The Mod 8 doesn`t have the threaded hole in the barrel jacket but would be easy enough to add one with a drill and tap . Your cautions on drilling the buttstock for a sling swivel are correct. This appears to be an easy job ,but is in fact a rough one.Nine times out of ten the hole ends up off center and the wood chips out around the hole and it looks like "Bubba" has been at work. The solution is get the right tool. B-square makes a swivel jig with the correct countersink drills. This makes it an easy job that rivals what a good gunsmith would do in his shop. The cost of the jig I imagine would be about what a smith would charge to do the job. Never been sorry I invested the $ for this tool,and I also use masking tape to prevent chipping.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I have a little home-made jig I use to center and level the bottom of the buttstock in a drill press. But I have successfully done several freehand - just takes some care. concentration, and a sharp bit.

I don'd know about threading the barrel tube on the M8. On the M81 it appears that there is some additional metal behind the tube wall. If it's also there in the same place in the M8, drilling and tapping a hole would work fine, but of course it would not be original, as in the M81 and might diminish colletible value a tad to a purist. But if a fellow wants a sling, better that than putting a hole in the fore end wood.

After giving it a little thought, I'd probably opt to install a couple of (modified) swivel studs instead of swivels - you know, those little studs that accommodate the quick release swivels. I already have a number of rifles with slings on those swivels, just move them around when needed.
81police

Post by 81police »

Remington began putting sling swivel holes in Model 8 barrel jackets by late 1920.

Conceivably you could drill & tap any Model 8 barrel jacket that didn't already have a swivel hole. The ones that are tapped are done so through the barrel jacket reinforcement (also called the barrel jacket plug), a part common to all 8/81's. This is the part inside the jacket that the buffer spring rests against. Now maybe this jacket plug/reinforcement was made larger in later rifles to accomodate the swivel hole...that answer I don't know! :?

Thanks for the good info Dwalt.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

According to Henwood the screw size for the FWD swivel #10-36.
KEN
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Not in my two 81s. Definitely 10-32.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I have a plug screw out of a the barrel jacket of Model 81 and the thread gauge indicates it is 36 TPI. The 32 gauge does not align with the threads. The plug screw WILL NOT thread into a 10-32 hex nut.

I tried a 10-32 swivel stud and it only threads in so far and stops. The barrel jacket is not threaded only the ring inside.

Your rifles may very well be 10-32, but it isn't right to assume they all are and post incorrect data on a forum. I checked 3 M81s and the thread size is 10-36
KEN