New Member, Jeff

New Member Introductions
Jeffrey.letcher

New Member, Jeff

Post by Jeffrey.letcher »

Hello to all the members.
I grew up in the north woods of Michigan. My father was an avid sportsman and owned "only firearms that put meat on the table" as his favorite quote went. He purchased a Model 81 in 35 Rem new from a hardware store during the Great Depression so I can imagine the importance the rifle was to him. He taught me and my 5 brothers the importance, respect, and care of firearms. Every one of his firearms looked as good as the day he acquired them. He owned over 30 firearms but the 81 was my favorite. As a youngster this rifle was as close to a BAR I was ever going to get. Upon his passing in 1986 the beloved 81 went to an older brother.
I am now a collector myself with 180 firearms in my stable. The Remington Model 8's I have are the .25, the .30 (that is stamped 30-30 Rem), a .32, and a 35. In the Model 81 I have the 300 Savage. I intend to acquire the whole set of both 8s and 81s.
As a collector I like all the ancillary memorabilia that was available for each weapon, whether it is stripper clips, after-market magazines, or advertisements. And there is a lot of tin prints of the "Woodsmaster".
Some people rescue injured animals, I prefer rescuing injured firearms.

Thanks for this wonderful forum for everyone interested in these fascinating firearms.

Jeff
jack1653

Re: New Member, Jeff

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Jeff,

Welcome to the forum. It is good to see new members with a passion for the 8 & 81 rifles. If you can share some pictures we would love to see them. Be sure to check out the various threads on the forum to find interesting topics. If there is anything you have questions about, just let us know. We have a lot of members who can help with just about any questions you may have.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Welcome from a fairly new member from WA state. Only have a couple of these great old rifles, but hope to add to that as I go along. Really enjoying my .25 Rem a lot these days.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir, A fine welcome to you. I am also glad to see new members come on board here. I’ve been a collector of JMBrowning firearms since around 1983. The model 8@81 have a special place in my heart. I started out collecting Auto 5 s, so the connection is direct to the Model 8/81. Jack is correct about the members here. It’s a great forum. I’ve recently been selling some of my pieces,now that I’m retired. I don’t know where you’re from now, but I might be persuaded to part with some Model 8/81 s. However you would have to travel to Iowa. I won’t do much shipping of anything.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Welcome aboard! I really enjoyed your story and your experience of how a firearm can be such a reminder of the love of a relative or friend.

My father too hunted with a Model 81 when he was younger and his affection for them spurred mine as well.

Glad you're here!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Jeffrey.letcher

Post by Jeffrey.letcher »

Thanks to all that have replied.
I spent 22 years with the US Army and retired in 07 calling Texas as my home.
I am a FFL03 licensed collector so acquiring new collectables is not a problem.
I will always be interested in filling in the holes in my collection.
I also greatly respect the genius of JMB.
Jeff
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service to our country. The site has great information, and a great bunch of 8/81 enthusiasts.

Good luck at stopping your acquisitions at "one of each". More just seem to keep showing up in my collection!
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

The Model 81 was issued in 1936,

Regards,

jack1653