New Member from Dallas, TX area

New Member Introductions
rcranch

New Member from Dallas, TX area

Post by rcranch »

I am a longtime antique/military gun collector who prowls the gun shows and flea markets in the North Texas area looking for interesting items. I am looking forward to learning more about my Model 81 LA County #75 I recently picked up from a friend. He found it in a local pawn shop a few years ago. I was not that familiar with the Model 8 or 81 until he described this gun to me and then when I saw it in person, I had to have it! The date code would indicate that it was made in March of 1942 and is original except for the missing matching 15 round magazine!! The gun may be on the master list or not, I am not sure if he contacted the forum about it or not. Looks like a great forum and I look forward to participating.

Tommy
jack1653

Re: New Member from Dallas, TX area

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Tommy,

Welcome to the forum. You picked a good rifle to start your collection of these rifles. It took me several years to get my first police model.

Our resident expert on the police models lives in the Dallas area and will be willing to help with specific question about your rifle. He maintains a catalog of pertinent information about the police models. He is also the site administrator and goes by “81police”. If you can post some pictures all of us will appreciate it.

There are several threads on the forum about the police rifles as well as some pictures.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
rcranch

Post by rcranch »

Thanks for the welcome, I have some photos but I have to adjust the size and will post if I can. Hope to get some better photos soon. One of my questions is if the modified 5 round mags really work in the police version of this gun or not. I have heard different stories and not sure which to believe. I would like to shoot it, I guess I could shoot one round at a time but not that familiar with the action on these to know for sure. Anyway, looking forward to learning more.

Tommy
20210125_140158_resized_2.jpg
20210125_140158_resized_2.jpg (629.62 KiB) Viewed 8622 times
20210125_135255_resized_1.jpg
20210125_135255_resized_1.jpg (583.63 KiB) Viewed 8622 times
20210125_140125_resized_1.jpg
20210125_140125_resized_1.jpg (683.61 KiB) Viewed 8622 times
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Tommy,

I am not sure what you mean by “modified 5 round mag”. If you are referring to the Krieger magazine, the answer is no. The P0E company did make some 5 round magazines for the police models. The Connecticut State Police had the 5 shot POE mags for their rifles.

Every once in awhile a 15 shot magazine will appear on The Gun Broker auction site. They will bring a pretty high price. I think the last one I saw went for over $2000.00. If you are lucky and can get one, don’t be surprised if it doesn’t fit your rifle. Let me advise you if it doesn’t fit, don’t worry because you can make it work. DO NOT ALTER THE MAGAZINE to get it to work. Modify the rifle to accept the magazines. It is not hard to do. If you find one, contact me and I will tell you what to do. I have converted several rifles to accept the 15-shot magazine. Good luck in your search.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
rcranch

Post by rcranch »

Jack,

Yes, that was the modified magazine that I had read about and I suspected it was only for the standard fixed mag 81. That is interesting about the 15 round mags, I guess so few were made that the specs must have varied slightly? I hope I can get lucky eventually. Thanks for your help.

Tommy
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Tommy,

The Kreiger will work on the model 8 also. I have Kriegers in both model 8 and 81. If you get a chance to get a Krieger jump on it. They certainly make loading and unloading a lot easier.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

You're off to a great start rcranch! If you can acquire an original 15 round magazine, you've got a $5000-7000+ rifle on your hands. Although this rifle is indeed in the LA County serial number database, I had never seen photos of it before so THANK YOU!

Although LA County purchased 199 of the Remington Model 81's, it's believed they had only 45 of the Police versions. Which is a LOT actually, more than any other LE department in the country.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Welcome to the forum. What a cool & super rare example of an 81 you have!

Good luck in your search for a magazine.
rcranch

Post by rcranch »

Thanks for the welcome, I have been reading everything I can find on the 81 Police and the 8/81 in general. I am curious about the unique number that can be found on these LA rifles. The one I have is numbered 75 and after searching the internet I found a half dozen and the highest number was 92 and the lowest was 8. I am sure the database reflects several more. One would initially assume that they were like local serial numbers and that they had at least 92 of these police guns but that does not seem to be the case based on what I read? Anyway, it is an interesting story. Would like to see some photos of these guns in action back in 1942!
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Danny,

I have 4 LA County police models. I have number 1 and number 2. The rifles do not have consecutive serial numbers. In fact, number 2 has an earlier serial number than number 1.

If you would like to see some shooting from the police models, you can find some videos on youtube of 81police and me shooting the police models. You will notice that one of the rifles has been converted to a carbine with a Thompson machine gun forearm which I made. We shot several of my police models that day. Just search “Remington Model 81 Shootout”. There are several videos of other 8 & 81 rifles. If you would like to see some pictures of other police models and conversions, check the thread “Pictures of your 8/8’s” and select “Ahlberg Collection”.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
rcranch

Post by rcranch »

Jack,

Thanks, that video was super, run through a box of ammo really fast! Makes me want to shoot mine even more now. I guess we will never really know how or why the unique numbers on these rifles was determined.

Tommy
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Tommy,

Please excuse my error with your name. I realized it when I read your current posting.

The only bad thing about these police models is the cost of the ammunition. As you saw in the video, it only takes a couple of seconds to empty a 15 round magazine. Cameron was quicker on the trigger. The 30 cal is much easier on the shoulder than the 35. They are fun to shoot.

81police may be able to provide some insight as to the numbering LA County used in assigning the numbers. I know he shared with me the contents of a letter he has about the LA County rifles but I can’t remember the details.

I will keep an eye out for a magazine for you.

Regards,

Jack
rcranch

Post by rcranch »

Jack,

Appreciate any help I can get regarding the mag. I have been setting up at the Tulsa Gun Show for several years and if we have a show in April I plan to be there. You usually can find almost anything at this show if you look long and hard enough. Got to save up some money first, the mag will cost me more than the rifle did!

Tommy
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Tommy,

I have sent you a PM regarding your question.

Regards,

jack1653
rcranch

Post by rcranch »

Jack,

I sent you a PM, thanks.

Tommy
81police

Post by 81police »

rcranch found a Model 8 Police magazine to go with his Special Police rifle....
Attachments
20210313_133338_resized.jpg
20210313_133338_resized.jpg (79.1 KiB) Viewed 7657 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Thats a big win getting a police gun back in action.