New here from Southern Maryland

New Member Introductions
Trepang

New here from Southern Maryland

Post by Trepang »

Just joined this site this morning.

I live in Calvert County in Southern Maryland and enjoy collecting and shooting firearms of all sorts.

Yesterday I bought a 1922 Model 8 in .35 Rem on GB.

Been wanting one for years.

The movie Highwaymen with Kevin Costner led me to read Hamer's biography which further fueled my Model 8 fire.

Always had a weird interest in the Bonnie & Clyde story and this is like owning a little bit of history.

As for me, I am a retired Navy Master Chief Submarine Sonarman (User name was my first boat - USS Trepang, SSN 674) and now I am Charter Boat Captain here on the Chesapeake Bay.

More of a collector than a hunter and I know next to nothing about these Model 8's but I look forward to learning from you guys.
Roger

Re: New here from Southern Maryland

Post by Roger »

Welcome aboard, glad to see that people are still interested in the model 8/81s.
I’ve been a hunter/shooter all my life. I’ve been collecting JMBrowning designed guns since 1983. The model 8 is one that has grown dear to me over the years.
Members here are helpful and friendly. If you have questions,just ask. Usually you will find someone here who knows the answer. In my opinion,you have chosen the most popular caliber 35, to start your model8 journey.
Good luck in your pursuit.
Thanks for your time
Roger

Oh,by the way. They seem to get lonely and invite new roommates over,quite a bit.
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Trepang

Post by Trepang »

Thanks,

It will have a few roommates. Any more and I'm going to need to get them a new apartment.
19 Nov 20 Group Photo.jpg
19 Nov 20 Group Photo.jpg (87.57 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Welcome Trepang. Enjoy the Model 8, thank you for your service to our country.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Welcome from Iowa. Thank you for your service. I don't know if I could have spent the time you sub sailors spent under the water. I start to go nuts if in the house for a couple of days. Wait to you crowd out a safe, buy another, and then need another. A pleasant vice IMO! :D
Trepang

Post by Trepang »

Thanks. I kinda chuckle when I hear folks complain about the whole COVID quarantine and having to stay in the house all day.

I spent months at a time in a sewer pipe with a reactor in the middle of it surrounded by saltwater - I can do this quarantine standing on my head...lol