New Member Introductions
fechnerj

Post by fechnerj »

Hello from Eastern Washington. I inherited a Model 8. S# 19780 in a .25 Remington from my grandmother. I became it's caretaker in1960. Her brother passed and she inherited the rifle from him.
I took deer with this rifle in '62 & '63. I ran out of factory ammo shortly thereafter and put it away until recently. I bought a set of. Hornady reloading dies and unprimed brass from Grafs and now have about 80 rounds. This rifle will be passed on to my children and on and on. I love that the society has so much information for this iconic weapon.
Rifleman

Re: New Member

Post by Rifleman »

Welcome 'fechnerj'!!! You are extremely fortunate to inherit a 25 caliber Model 8. Alot of 8/81 collectors and shooters spend alot of years trying to add one to their stable. A rarer caliber to find and can be a pricey one!!! Lucky guy!!! Rifleman
fechnerj

Post by fechnerj »

Thanks, I have learned a lot about this rifle from this site, including the relative rarity of the 25's.
Price has never been an issue for me because the promise made to my gma was to take care of it, pass it down to my kin, and never sell it. I'm in my mid 70's and have had the discussion with my children.
Beyond that I've encouraged them to use it. It's a sweet shooter.
I've learned that the loading data for the 25-35 Winchester works great so I've worked up some loads for the 117grain bullets.
81police

Post by 81police »

When they're shooting right...nothing is sweeter than a "quarter bore springpole"!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey fellas, I’ve been lucky enough to own a few 25 caliber Remington model 8s. They are really pleasant to shoot. Since my retirement, I’ve sold a couple to a fellow member here. But I still own 4, that are not for sale at this time. They’re a joy to own and shoot. They’ll become my three sons problem some day. Have fun with your family heirloom. I’ve got some family heirloom guns,and wouldn’t sell them at any price. I’ve reloaded for them for a number of years,using Winchester 25/35 info. But don’t use bullets lighter than100 grains. John Henwood warns about this in his book,and my testing proved him right. My best general accuracy was with Speer 120 psp bullets,and using Win.760 powder. The amount of powder depends on your rifle. Look it up in your loading manuals under 25/35. These rifles are all a joy to own.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

I am using 3031 with excellent results and a 117 gr. round nose. I had some 117 gr. Barnes bullets laying around from a failed 250-3000 Savage experiment, and they also shot great. I would guess that it would be a good hunting load.

Welcome to the forum. There is lots of good information and lots of good people here.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I've used Hornady 117 gr spitzers with good success in mine, over a hot charge of 3031. Very pleasant shooting with good accuracy. I bought a short rail section that fits the two rear sight screws from a member here. It holds a micro red dot sight that makes the rifle that much more fun to shoot.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
fechnerj

Post by fechnerj »

A picture of the old girl.
Attachments
1124201441.jpg
1124201441.jpg (9.93 KiB) Viewed 4539 times