Spanner wrench

New Member Introductions
Craiger

Spanner wrench

Post by Craiger »

I'm looking for a spanner wrench/barrel wrench for the Model 8.

81police

Re: Spanner wrench

Post by 81police »

Hi Craiger & welcome.

Production of the repro wrenches ceased some years ago. If you do a search on our forums you'll find several posts on how to make your own at home.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Welcome Craiger: 10-4 on what 81 Police posted. Also several members make them and offer for sale. I've seen offers for sale of tools for the 8/81 barrel takedown on other forums and ebay also, some are pretty pricey. I bought a tool from a member of this forum several years ago that works like a charm, well made, and not expensive. Not sure if he is still selling, you could PM him and see. He goes by ROBOPUMP.

ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I can still make two of these. I use a nut splitter tool and turn down the chisel to a pin that will fit in the hole of the barrel nut. It is adjustable and will work with all calibers. Price is $25.00 for the tool and $9.00 for priority one shipping in a small flat rate box. Let me know if this is what you want.
Be safe and enjoy life. ROB

ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

For those that have been around for a while, yes I am still alive and doing fine. Glad to see some new activity on the forum. ROB

81police

Post by 81police »

ROB!!! Good to see you on here again!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Yes Rob, good to see ya postin. Wish the forum was more active. Have got a lot of mileage out of the tool I purchased from you. Works so slick I almost want to disassemble the barrel and sleeve every time I clean the bore. Take care. Rifleman

fechnerj

Post by fechnerj »

I also made some tools to remove the barrel nut and the outer barrel cover. I saw examples of the tools done by "circle branch pro". I found a tool socket, in my case an 11/16 socket fit perfectly over the barrel. I then drilled a 3/32 dia hole in the socket a measured distance back from the end of the socket. This drill fit the hole in the barrel nut perfectly. Put a ratchet wrench on the socket, insert the drill shank in the socket hole, and the barrel nut give a twist and off she came. At this point you can remove the barrel from the outer shell. For the other tool I cut a piece of 1/8 x 2 flatbar about 3 inches long. Additional cuts were made so I had a stub along one edge that fits into the open end of the barrel cover and about 1/2 inch deep. Then used a dremmel small barrel sander to thin the areas next to the stub down from 1/8 to fit the spanner slots. Now, if you clamp the 3 inch portion in a vice with the stub up, place the barrel on the stub, and with a fabric strap wrench give the barrel cover a twist, and it comes loose to finish by hand.

When I find a photo sharing website, I can post some pictures.

fechnerj

Post by fechnerj »

Pictures
Attachments
1108201145a.jpg
1108201145a.jpg (9.26 KiB) Viewed 57 times
1107201614a.jpg
1107201614a.jpg (11.93 KiB) Viewed 57 times
1108201142.jpg
1108201142.jpg (8.01 KiB) Viewed 57 times