New Member from the Mid-Hudson Valley of NY

New Member Introductions
wildmanlake

New Member from the Mid-Hudson Valley of NY

Post by wildmanlake »

Hello everyone,

I was very surprised to find this excellent website when I began researching the Mod 8's a couple of weeks ago. After reading the history and watching a few very good videos on YouTube, I realized I had a fairly rare gun that I hadn't really appreciated.

As a kid of 16, for my 1st deer hunt, my father trained me on, and let me use my grandfathers 35 Rem. I shot my first deer with that good old rifle, and after my dad passed away, it came down to me. I remember all my friends being unimpressed with the old gun I was using, but I loved it.

Over the years I hunted it a few times, but normally used the newer rifles I had acquired.

Just recently I decided to pull all my guns out, inspect them, clean & oil them well, catalog, them and return them to the safes.

Well, I pulled the old Remington out and noticed the safety wouldn't close, so I decided to do some research to take it apart properly, and look for the gremlin.

First thing I noticed, is that when I loosened the barrel slightly then the safety would close. Tighten the barrel back up, and no-close again.

OK, so now I figure something is holding the bolt from closing far enough to allow the safety to engage. That's how I started down the rabbits hole.

Anyway after watching a YouTube video, where the guy said his was a 1907, I decided to look for the age of mine on the Remington website, and after a short search I found it.

Much to my surprise the Serial Number, 1373, puts it into the first year of manufacture, 1906, is that correct? After reading the history, now I know why my Model 8 isn't a Model 8, simply the "Autoloader" with out any model markings. I always wondered why there was no model number, now I understand.

Anyway, I ordered a punch-pin set and just disassembled the receiver, down to the bolt, which is next. I don't see any damaged or severely worn parts anywhere, but did notice the free floating firing pin, (intact), which should be correct for this vintage I believe.

Since later builds did have a firing pin spring, is it customary to retrofit a firing pin spring from a later build, if that's even possible?

Although the bluing on the metal surfaces shows it age, the stock only a few small marks, with a great very dark patina finish. I look at this gun now with new eyes, and a complete appreciation of what it is and how well it has stood the test of time.

After I'm finished with the take down, inspection, cleaning and reassembly, I'll post back how the bolt and safety are working. I'm really looking forward to buying a couple of boxes of ammo and running some rounds through her again. My love for this old rifle has been rekindled.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.. Kind Regards...
Attachments
Rem Mod 8 Pic 7.jpg
Rem Mod 8 Pic 7.jpg (24.62 KiB) Viewed 4480 times
Rem Mod 8 Pic 8.jpg
Rem Mod 8 Pic 8.jpg (62.19 KiB) Viewed 4480 times
Rem Mod 8 Pic 6.v2.jpg
Rem Mod 8 Pic 6.v2.jpg (49.13 KiB) Viewed 4480 times
Last edited by wildmanlake on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bandersnatch

Re: New Member from the Mid-Hudson Valley of NY

Post by Bandersnatch »

This is the sort of thing I've been looking for: a 1906 Autoloader. Came close a couple of times but couldn't quite close the deal.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
81police

Post by 81police »

Welcome!!!! :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
wildmanlake

Post by wildmanlake »

Just a quick follow up, after completing the take down and cleaning, I decided they was no need to disassemble the bolt itself. I looked fine, and the firing pin was obviously free, and nothing seemed to be of concern. I thoroughly inspected all the parts, looking very closely at the wear spots and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, and nothing overly worn. In my youth, I was apprenticed as a tool & die maker, so I have some skills in the making of precision metal parts, and I understand what it took to make these parts.

The design of the mechanism is amazing, and the craftsmanship is something you see little of these days.

Anyway, after cleaning, oiling and some grease in a few locations, it all went back together fairly easily. One of the springs was a little tricky to get it set into the small grove for it's tab, but beyond that it went together fairly quickly.

I'm pleased to say that all issues with the safety and bolt closing are gone, now it's ready to run some rounds through it. I just need to buy some new ammunition.

I remembered years ago using stripper clips when hunting with this gun, and when trying to locate new ones I got up to speed on the rareness of finding them for sale.

So I spent some time cleaning out a storage area that I knew had some gun related boxes, and I was really surprised that I found two of the stripper clips I used as a kid, photo's attached. From reading the history of the calibers offered, I guess the stripper clips can be dated to be 1940 or after, as they show both 35 CAL & 300 SAV. stamped on the bottoms. If anyone can comment further on the stripper clips age I would appreciate it.

Anyway, it has been an enjoyable couple of weeks getting reacquainted with this old rifle, it brought back a lot of great memories. I'm looking forward to sighting it in, and hunting with it this fall. Have a good week-end...
Attachments
Two Stripper Clips.jpg
Two Stripper Clips.jpg (103.16 KiB) Viewed 4140 times
Stripper clip 2.jpg
Stripper clip 2.jpg (103.29 KiB) Viewed 4140 times
Stripper clip 1a.jpg
Stripper clip 1a.jpg (98.21 KiB) Viewed 4140 times
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Just an FYI: M1A stripper clips work just fine.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.