Model 8, a nice firearm.

New Member Introductions
kinderio

Model 8, a nice firearm.

Post by kinderio »

I recently received this rifle as an inheritance from my Grandad, he passed away quite awhile ago but my Mom didn't pass it to me until this year. I would like to hear what you guys have to say about the ammo and possibly fitting it with a scope?
Last edited by kinderio on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jack1653

Re: Model 8, a nice firearm.

Post by jack1653 »

Welcome aboard. You didn't say what caliber your rifle is chambered. If it is a .35, you can still buy ammunition. If it is a .25, .30 or .32, you are going to have difficulty in finding ammunition. It is available, but quite expensive. You will find that much of the ammunition has been made by resizing the brass, which in of itself not a problem but not desireable in my opinion.

As for a scope, my personal preference is not to put one on the rifle. Because of the top ejection of the brass, you have to mount the scope off center. The mounts can be found but again, not my preference.

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

On this forum, we are "picture challenged" :roll: - feed the animals. :lol:

Jack got you started on the ammo, even though the obsolete ammo "was" expensive by today's standards it maybe a bargain, at least I have been able to find it "reasonably priced" at gun shows.

DON'T DRILL IT FOR A SCOPE MOUNT!! If you would like to put a scope on it and it does NOT already have additional holes for a scope mount - - did I mention DON'T DRILL IT FOR A SCOPE!! There are lots of these old humpbacks already drilled and usually there value is less after they have been drilled.

I personal have several drilled for different scope mounts. I spent considerable time and dollars getting the correct mounts and period correct scopes and they are fun. But, I, like several here, would probably strike a bargain/swap with you regarding a rifle not drilled for one already drilled for a scope mount.

But, the honest injun truth of the matter, by today's MOA standards and shooting for one ragged-hole, these rifles do not qualify. They are fine for minute of deer or hog, fun-shooters, etc. but do they need a scope? - not really. The tang and/or the iron sights work fine even for my old eyes.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
kinderio

Post by kinderio »

I wouldn't drill it for a scope, it already was. Do you think it was drilled aftermarket?
mod 8 002.1.jpg
mod 8 002.1.jpg (69.54 KiB) Viewed 8177 times
It's .30 caliber.
I believe it was made in 1913 as it is marked with 34613.
What would you say it's condition is?
mod 8 005.1.jpg
mod 8 005.1.jpg (67.93 KiB) Viewed 8177 times

I plan on keeping it as a keepsake from my Grandad and hope to find ammo to fire it and maybe a scope that fits the existing holes.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

I would guess that the holes were drilled after market. I have never seen a scope mount that far up on the barrel jacket. Take a picture showing the holes from the top. 81police can give some good information on period correct scopes. Are there any holes on the left side of the receiver where a mount may have been?

You can get some good ammunition from the S and S HUNTCLUB. They advertise ammunition on a regular basis on GunBroker.com and are good guys to buy from. I have had several transaction with them and have always been satisfied. If you would like to contact them directly use this address and tell them Jack sent you. Jeffrey Pajtas <s-shuntclub@sbcglobal.net>.

You can always buy from some of the other ammunition sites, but I can't think of them at the moment.

jack1653
kinderio

Post by kinderio »

P1050535.1.jpg
P1050535.1.jpg (80.65 KiB) Viewed 8161 times
P1050540.jpg
P1050540.jpg (147.59 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
BTW, thank you for the info and the welcome. :D
kinderio

Post by kinderio »

P.S. Scroll to the right on the picture of the left side to see 4 drilled holes.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

The pictures help. My guess, and it is strictly a guess, is that the two holes in the jacket were for another type of rear sight. They can be plugged with some studs and this is often done. The four holes in the receiver were for a peep sight and they can be purchased fairly easily. Again, I am not that familar with all the variations of peep sights but there are several guy on the forum that can give you the specifics. There are two or three of these type of sights for sale on several of the auctions, particulary Gun Broker. I believe I recently saw one on E-bay also.

jack1653
kinderio

Post by kinderio »

Thanks again!
81police

Post by 81police »

kinderio,

Don't hold me to it, but the holes look similar to a Saturn Boone receiver mount. Go look in the Gallery page under "sights and scope mounts" and you'll find some pictures of this mount, it's scope, and it's hole spacing. Tbe holes in your receiver almost look too close together for this mount but I can't tell. There was a member recently trying to sell a Saturn Boone mount and scope. No idea about the holes in the barrel jacket.

Nice heirloom you got there!

Cam
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kinderio

Post by kinderio »

Yep, the holes look similar to a Saturn Boone receiver mount but you are right, my grouping is smaller and it is square unlike the trapezoidal Saturn Boone pattern.
clampdaddy

Post by clampdaddy »

A couple weeks back I watched a movie staring Wes Studi called "the Only Good Indian" and he had a beautiful high grade model 8 with a long eye relief scope mounted out on the barrel like a scout rifle. Those holes in your barrel jacket and the two holes used to secure the rear sight could be utilized for something like that.

Since there are already holes in your barrel jacket mounting a scope will be easy as pie. Buy a stick of weaver rail with a one inch radius on the bottom, drill a couple hole in it to match the spacing of the holes in your rifle, make sure your screws aren't to long, and cinch 'er down. Add a pistol scope and you're done.