Confused on this one.

New Member Introductions
ROBOPUMP

Confused on this one.

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Check out GunBroker auction httpsI ://www.gunbroker.com/item/741305605

It seems very strange that a rifle manufactured in 1920 would have had a hand engraved caliber on the barrel jacket head of 30-30 Rem(1907 vintage). As you can see, the serial number matches the receiver number and the barrel extension is correct for the caliber. As best I know, the barrel jacket head is one piece and should not have an engraved caliber marking on a 1920 rifle. I would like to know your thoughts on this. Cam, Creamer??? This all goes back to my highest serial number model 8 - 69929. It has four serial numbers. I and a friend of mine think that Remington in the depth of the great depression would have built a rifle to sell at any cost. Both Cam and Creamer decided that this rifle was built by an individual rather than Remington. Why would any individual use four rifle to build one? I think Remington would do this to sell a rifle during the depression. I have seen no evidence as to when Remington assigned serial numbers to individual parts. And some parts with serial numbers assigned could have been rejecter and used on later assemblies. There again, is my rifle legit and possibly the last one Remington made ????????????

ROB
Last edited by ROBOPUMP on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
kenhwind

Re: Confused on this one.

Post by kenhwind »

I have an older Model 8 25-35 Remington, which is marked on the barrel in the usual place. I just checked and the barrel jacket head does not have the serial number on it. This leads me to think that maybe this Remington has a vintage barrel jacket head with a serial number added.
KEN
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Rob,
I have a Gr D with a Repair code "XXX3" that dates to 1950. It has a model 81 barrel sleeve on the 1907 serial # receiver, trigger guard, stock, buttplate, and even the magazine. The graving on the sleeve is period correct on the barrel sleeve. It even has the model 8 forearm boss that will Not fit the Model 81. The rifle came with the Remington cardboard box they used to ship in the 40s. You are right that Remington did a lot of unusual assemblies to sell rifles.
It is obvious to me the rifle was repaired at Remington, in the late 40/50s. Probably for the loose jacket head so many of them developed. However, if your rifle has mis-match of the numbers in the above locations it may be a restoration. I am currently working on a restoration of similar type. To put back in service a rifle parted out by the strippers; Not original but fully functional. Thanks be to the precision of the Remington fitters.
Phyrbird
SOKY
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Here is the thread I am referring to about serial number 69929 and it is quite long and interesting.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2476&sid=65f927e8c ... 1db60dfef0
It was determined that the parts on 69929 were not period correct and all I was pointing out on the current Gunbroker auction is that the parts there early on were not period correct.

If you read the post all the way through, you will see that rifle 69551 actually has two different serial numbers on the butt stock.

If you are new to this site and joined after 2009, I suggest you read the post. There is a lot to learn there from some of our best team members.

I still own 69929 and 69551.

Thank you for your time and replies.

ROB