New member from Texas

New Member Introductions
motorcarman

New member from Texas

Post by motorcarman »

New guy from NorthWest of the Fort Worth area in rural Wise County.
I don't actually have a Model 8 or 81 but I do have a Remington Autoloading Repeating Rifle ca. 1908.

Chambered in .30 Remington I acquired it a few years ago during the 'Great Ammo Depression' as well as many other vintage firearms that use 'hard-to-find' ammo. (like 455 Webleys and Winchester 1907 etc.)

People were selling many types of firearms due to lack of ammo but they seemed to be 'short-sighted' as the supply is back to some kind of normal.

I tried to buy my neighbors Remington Model 14 but he has had it since the 1960s. He told me I could have it when he passed away but he is only 10 years older than me so I did not want to wait.

I found a clean 1933 vintage Model 14 chambered in .30 Rem so I have two Remingtons that use the same .30 ammo.

I started out trimming 30 Winchester cases in my drill press to convert to 30 Rem.
Each case takes about 5 or 6 minutes to convert from 30 Win to 30 Rem chucked up and machined with a few files.

I fire-form with a light load to correct the shoulder angle and then the cases are done.

Graf finally had some cases for sale so I bought them also.

I like the way it looks and feels like my Browning Auto 5 and Remington Model 11.

Between finding loaded ammo and reformed/reloaded brass ammo I have about a thousand so far.

Glad to have found this site!!!

bob
bob in rural Wise County Texas
Hardrada55

Re: New member from Texas

Post by Hardrada55 »

Hey Bob, Good to have you on the forum. I grew up coming over from Lewisville to hunt on the LBJ grasslands. Love the old guns, like our favorite, the Remington Autoloading rifle and others too.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
81police

Post by 81police »

from another native born Texican....WELCOME Bob!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
motorcarman

Post by motorcarman »

Thanks for the welcome. I made barrel nut tool out of an old steel spacer I found. The ID is 18mm and the stud is M6 x 1.00mm with a point ground on the end. Works well for a half an hours work.

bob
Attachments
RemBarrelNut2a.jpg
RemBarrelNut2a.jpg (74.41 KiB) Viewed 6122 times
RemBarrelNut1a.jpg
RemBarrelNut1a.jpg (74.83 KiB) Viewed 6122 times
bob in rural Wise County Texas
81police

Post by 81police »

That'll do it for sure
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

One could do the same trick with an allen bolt, they are grade 8 and strong enough for pin stock. I like it.
Phyrbird
SOKY