New Member from South Central Wisconsin

New Member Introductions
WiscoHunter

New Member from South Central Wisconsin

Post by WiscoHunter »

Hello everyone,

I'm excited to be a part of this forum! I'll interested in learning as much as I can about the Model 8. I just picked one up in 35 Remington. Watched several videos, including one that went through a complete takedown of the rifle. This allowed me to clean it thoroughly before trying it out.

If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a barrel wrench for this gun, I would greatly appreciate it. Already looked on EBay with no luck

Cheers,

Wisco
ROBOPUMP

Re: New Member from South Central Wisconsin

Post by ROBOPUMP »

If you are referring to the barrel nut. Try to find a Winchoke wrench from Ebay or other source. It is a spanner wrench designed for the early Winchester shotgun chokes, but works great on the model 8/81 barrel nuts. Not the stoutest, but works unless the barrel nut is rusted in or over tightened. Let me know if that does not work for you and I will give other remedies.

ROB
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

81police

Post by 81police »

Welcome!!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
WiscoHunter

Post by WiscoHunter »

Thanks for the advice on the Winchoke. I found one on EBay and picked it up. Should be here any day now.

Wisco
WiscoHunter

Post by WiscoHunter »

ROBOPUMP wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:59 pm If you are referring to the barrel nut. Try to find a Winchoke wrench from Ebay or other source. It is a spanner wrench designed for the early Winchester shotgun chokes, but works great on the model 8/81 barrel nuts. Not the stoutest, but works unless the barrel nut is rusted in or over tightened. Let me know if that does not work for you and I will give other remedies.

ROB
Hi Rob,

Tried the Winchoke this afternoon, but with no luck. The barrel nut is on very tight, or there's some rust in there. On close inspection of the hole in the barrel nut, it looks as though there might be a set screw in there. Have you ever encountered that before? None of the schematics that I've looked at show anything like it.

Thanks...Wisco
WiscoHunter

Post by WiscoHunter »

WiscoHunter wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:06 pm
ROBOPUMP wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:59 pm If you are referring to the barrel nut. Try to find a Winchoke wrench from Ebay or other source. It is a spanner wrench designed for the early Winchester shotgun chokes, but works great on the model 8/81 barrel nuts. Not the stoutest, but works unless the barrel nut is rusted in or over tightened. Let me know if that does not work for you and I will give other remedies.

ROB
Hi Rob,

Tried the Winchoke this afternoon, but with no luck. The barrel nut is on very tight, or there's some rust in there. On close inspection of the hole in the barrel nut, it looks as though there might be a set screw in there. Have you ever encountered that before? None of the schematics that I've looked at show anything like it.

Thanks...Wisco
Got a magnifying glass on it and I think I'm just seeing one of the threads on the barrel. :lol:
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Probably just over tightened. But, if rusted, Give it a shower with Liquid Wrench several times a day for several days. It will loosen the rust. There are heavier duty tools out there, but are quite expensive. I bought a nut splitter set at Tractor Supply for $5.00. I then took the smaller one and removed the chisel. I then turned the chisel down to a pin just smaller than the barrel nut hole. It will get the job done. By all means, don't try any type of pliers on it. Be patient and see if the penetrant will work.

ROB
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I've also used "medical freeze" spray to shrink threaded parts. It can break loose rust frozen stuff. Heat the outside, freeze the inside. It can help.
Phyrbird
SOKY
WiscoHunter

Post by WiscoHunter »

I bought a wrench from Rob an it did the trick. Many thanks to Rob.