Hello from UP of Michigan

New Member Introductions
BZimm

Hello from UP of Michigan

Post by BZimm »

Let me say that less than a week ago I didn't know there was such a thing as a Remington 81. I was wandering around on a sale/trade local website and there was an ad for "hunting equipment" and when I asked the fellow what he had, he said "rifle".

It took a little bit to get a couple pictures and after some disjointed back and forth conversation I brought my 81 home yesterday. For those of you unfamiliar with the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, be aware that there's a whole bunch of trees and not very many people. And that's why I moved my family here in 1993. We live in the largest city in this county and our official population is just over 2,700.

I can say that I when I found this rifle, the fellow made my day by saying that he would like to barter rather than a cash transaction. I like that. We traded a gun for a gun. Perception is reality and my perception is that I am satisfied.

I appreciate being here at this forum and I look forward to joining in. It'll take me a few days to work through the archives and get comfortable. I'll tell you that I learned to shoot with my Grandpa when I was eight and that I recently retired from a local government position involved with utilities and other insanity like that. My interests are varied and as a newcomer to the hunting and fishing world, I can say that I've missed a lot of pleasure and serenity because of misdirected priorities. I've included a couple pics of my new Model 81 and I invite any and all questions, comments, criticisms or complaints. I am here to learn.

BZimm
Rem81 01.jpg
Rem81 01.jpg (521.88 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
Attachments
Rem81 03.jpg
Rem81 03.jpg (449.7 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
Rem81 02.jpg
Rem81 02.jpg (358.36 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
I am accountable for my actions.....
81police

Re: Hello from UP of Michigan

Post by 81police »

Hey BZimm, welcome to the forums! Congrats on your first 81!

Does the brass bolt go all the way through the body of the magazine limiting the capacity? If so, sounds like a previous owner wanted to limit capacity for hunting law purposes. This could be easily remedied with a new set of side springs and a new magazine spring (if the current one isn't shortened). Never seen anything like that before! You just never know what you'll come across with these rifles!

The hole pattern on the side of the receiver is for a Weaver scope mount. I believe these may still be available today.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
Welcome to our forum. You will find the members here to be very helpful. My only question to you, is what is the caliber marking on the barrel extension?
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
BZimm

Post by BZimm »

Hey Thank You for the responses.

I have to dig into the old girl for a thorough cleaning and I think I'll have to remove the brass bolt to slid the magazine up through the receiver. I'll take pictures along the way. Very curious about that and I agree; when I found that three cartridges would fit as modified, some hunting laws do limit available rounds to that number.

The rifle is chambered in 300 Savage. I had never shot that cartridge before, and with a steel buttplate and a light summer shirt, those first eight test rounds were humbling to say the least.

Thanks again, I will post an update soon.

BZimm
I am accountable for my actions.....
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Yeah, I use a Limbsaver, the 300sav is a bit sharper than the rest of our Ladies calibers. No where near the 45-70 in a Marlin though.
Phyrbird
SOKY