Hello from Rocket City, AL

New Member Introductions
Ktmillsaps

Hello from Rocket City, AL

Post by Ktmillsaps »

After dreaming about and drooling over a Model 8 for months, I have traded for a 1911 Model 8 in .30 Rem. It is being shipped to my FFL holder as we speak. I have a few questions:

1. The big one: I want to restore this rifle myself. I am pretty good at this and I am planning on keeping it forever. Any good advice on parts vendors? Stock makers? I have another Browning-designed Model 11 12 ga and I can't help but notice the similarities. For me, this was one of the most complex but elegant firearms I had ever taken down. Is the Model 8 much different?

2. I was thinking of having the metal Cerakoted (gasp...) to match the original bluing...would this be a sin worthy of eternal punishment?

3. Who is the best source for this "obsolete" ammo?
Sebastian21

Re: Hello from Rocket City, AL

Post by Sebastian21 »

Your best source for parts is Ebay. Macon Gunstocks I think has wood. Go ahead and refinish because only mint to new model 8 and 81 have any value. You can get ammo from Graf and Sons and Buffalo Arms. Use military grade primers to prevent slam fires. I know most people do not have any trouble but why take the chance. If you chamber a shell on the early model 8 you will notice a firing pin mark, this is usually not sufficient to fire the round, but why take a chance. You will have better luck if you take apart the barrel assembly. These are always rusted and dirty. You need special wrenches but thse can be made. If you do not want to take the barrel assembly apart soak it down with a gun scrubber, let dry, and shoot some oil in. Take special care in replacing the springs that they are in the correct order and position. These rifles are old school so they need old school oil to make them work. Good luck
81police

Re: Hello from Rocket City, AL

Post by 81police »

welcome KTmillsaps! Congrats on your rifle. The link below has a number of sources for loaded 8/81 ammo. Enjoy!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4693&sid=4e9e30c42 ... 9102b2b189
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator