stripper clips

New Member Introductions
Rigby16

stripper clips

Post by Rigby16 »

Greetings all,
I just purchased my first Model 8 in 35 rem. I haven't received it yet but want to be ready when I do. My question is, other than the $100 plus remington stripper clips I see on e-bay, what other clips will work.
Thanks,
Rigby16
ROBOPUMP

Re: stripper clips

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I don't know how many times I have posted this. Please do not waste your money on stripper clips. They are scarce because the old timers learned how not to use them. I can load the rifle much faster than you can load a stripper clip. When loading the stripper clip, you will probably overload and the first round drops out if you are not careful. Anyway, the easy way to load one of these rifles is to insert the cartridge in the vertical (not horizontal) position next to the feed lips in the magazine. Press down and lean forward. The magazine will almost suck the ammo in. Repeat until fully loaded. Send me the hundred dollars or more. ROBOPUMP
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

I have several original stripper clips for my 35 and 30 caliber Model 8 rifles. In addition, I viewed a you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQp405iS_iQ
Sep 10, 2016 - Uploaded by Iraqveteran8888; in which the speaker at a bench claims the Swedish Mauser 6.55 x 55 strippers work with the Model 8 - 35 caliber. I will purchase from one of the following web sites that sell those stripper clips for a fraction of the original stripper clips sell for on Ebay. The following web sites sell Swedish Mauser 6.55 x 55 stripper clips. 1. tradeecanada.com 40 used stripper clips for $32.00; 2. buymilsurp.com 8 used stripper clips for $10.00; 3. Amazon.com 10 new stripper clips for $24.00. Hope this helps you in locating alternative to original stripper clips.
Rigby16

Post by Rigby16 »

Thanks for all the advise gang.
Rigby16
DEEREMEYER1

Post by DEEREMEYER1 »

ROBOPUMP wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:07 pm I don't know how many times I have posted this. Please do not waste your money on stripper clips. They are scarce because the old timers learned how not to use them. I can load the rifle much faster than you can load a stripper clip. When loading the stripper clip, you will probably overload and the first round drops out if you are not careful. Anyway, the easy way to load one of these rifles is to insert the cartridge in the vertical (not horizontal) position next to the feed lips in the magazine. Press down and lean forward. The magazine will almost suck the ammo in. Repeat until fully loaded. Send me the hundred dollars or more. ROBOPUMP
Whether or not money is "wasted" on stripper clips is subjective. Clearly the rifles can be loaded with or without them. That's never been subject to debate. But also clear is that someone(s) at Remington saw a use FOR the clips, and that's why they exist. If someone is purchasing a rifle as an "investment", then clearly the stripper clips, which seem to be appreciating in value faster than the rifles, are a worthwhile accessory and additional investment. I've got a total of three for my Model 8, although two of them are obviously for Model 81s since they are marked .35 CAL/.300 Sav where the other is marked only for .35 CAL.

The clips are also constructed differently with the newer clips having a mild steel and blued "spring" while the older clip has a spring of either different material or different finish. To me the clips go along with the general theme of being the go-to rifle when that grizzly or pack of wolves comes down the mountain to meet you. Do you want to be thumbing individual rounds into a magazine in that situation or grabbing a clip of 5 out of the pocket of your classic red plaid hunting coat? I have to think that as an "investment" the clips will more than pay for themselves at some point in the future when a gun is sold with them. For general shooting? Maybe not.

P.S. I've got less than $150 in 3 clips and all have been purchased in the last 4-5 years, so if they're bring the "hundred dollars or more" you claim, I think my investment is definitely worthwhile. Thumbing rounds in one at a time will never pay the shooter back anything.
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I am not saying stripper clips do not work. I am only saying there is a better way to load the rifle. I watched the video in the previous post and I and most others would say the guys had a problem loading the rifle with stripper clips. They did not show the trouble they also had loading the stripper clips themselves. As I mentioned, overloading the stripper clip usually results in the first round falling out. If in a life and death situation after I had shot the first five rounds loaded in the rifle, I would load a single round in the rifle vertically and load that round in the chamber and not mess with a loaded stripper clip. Usually after 5 rounds through a model 8/81 there is no need for additional rounds. As I stated, most old timers learned to load their rifles this way and through away the stripper clips. That is why they are so scarce today and demand premium prices. Again, I state that if you don't need them, why buy them?

ROB
81police

Post by 81police »

I can definitely load an 8/81 with a stripper clip much faster than single loading.

The clips are a very cool feature of an autoloading sporting rifle and one of the things that gives the 8/81 a cool nostalgic feel.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

So we start with live ammo and you with your clip. I load the rifle and you load the clip. I have the rifle loaded and you have the clip loaded. You now have to load the clip in the rifle. Who wins? This all has to do with the time it takes to load the clip. I have only stated that I can load the rifle faster than you can load a clip. Now , load your rifle. I think that the clips are a unique feature of the rifle, but not a needed one.

ROB
Abouttime

Post by Abouttime »

Has anyone crafted stripper clips with a 3D printer?
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Rigby16 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 6:57 pm Greetings all,
I just purchased my first Model 8 in 35 rem. I haven't received it yet but want to be ready when I do. My question is, other than the $100 plus remington stripper clips I see on e-bay, what other clips will work.
Thanks,
Rigby16
If one simply must have a stripper clip, the 35 and 300 can use M14 strippers at about 50 cents each.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Any 'track' record on how well these work? Wonder why they can't duplicate clips for the 300 and 35? For what I know about the process, the 3D printing/duplication process can recreate most things. If they were able to do the other three calibers, clips for the 300 and 35 should be able to be replicated I'd think. Beyond my paygrade on the process to know why. I have used a M14 clip a few times with my two 81 300's and IMO was more of a PITA than loading five by hand.
PremierGrade

Post by PremierGrade »

7.62x51 is so much bigger than 25/30/32 Rem I can't believe a M-14 clip would work.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

PremierGrade wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:29 am 7.62x51 is so much bigger than 25/30/32 Rem I can't believe a M-14 clip would work.
The plastic ones mentioned are for the 23,30, and 32 calibers. Use of a M14 clip refers to use for 300 and 35. Like Robopump mentioned in a earlier posting, loading with those clips is a PITA, I to can load faster by hand if the right procedure is used. In every video clip I've ever seen when someone is using a clip, they're shown fumbling about, trying as it appears to force a square peg in a round hole. Guess if I needed fast reloads for some nasty situation use of a AR or Ruger Mini14 would be used. I'd think if during the use of a 8/81 in hunting five rounds should be enough unless the shooter is "praying and spraying"! :D
PremierGrade

Post by PremierGrade »

IF you know how to use a clip, they are great. Witness WW One.