New... just got my first... and just bought my second

New Member Introductions
FrayAdjacent

New... just got my first... and just bought my second

Post by FrayAdjacent »

Well, you guys did it. I don't suffer 'black rifle disease'... I've got "old, cool, unique, funky, awesome rifle disease".

Yesterday I picked up my 1946 made Model 81 in .35 Remington. She's in great shape for being 70 years old! Some bluing wear, a few usual nicks and dings, but in overall great shape. The bore is a little dirty.... I haven't gotten to cleaning her up yet.

Overall I'd personally put this one at 80 to 85% condition. She's a beauty.

I just bought another in .300 Savage. I figured that one will be my "shooter". I've found a couple online places that have .35 Rem and .300 Sav, so I'll be getting a couple hundred rounds of each, and some dies for both. I'm not new to reloading, so it should be easy for me. The .300 Sav should be easy, too. Very common bullets available.

I've enjoyed reading around here, and I'm glad we have a resource like this available to us. If I have any questions, I know where to ask!

-Matt
Austin, TX
Phyrbird

Re: New... just got my first... and just bought my second

Post by Phyrbird »

Welcome to Therapy :lol:
Our Ladies do like company :oops:
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

these guns are like Pringles chips, "can't have just one".

Welcome to the forums. And great looking springplole!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
FrayAdjacent

Post by FrayAdjacent »

Thanks for the welcome! You're right Phyrbird... but the wallet may need a break after this second one. At least until after I get some ammo in my stash, and probably some reloading gear!

I'm thinking if the .300 Savage rifle is decently accurate, I may go shoot it in my local rifle club's Highpower Rifle match. The range is limited to 200m, so distance won't be a stretch for that one. I bet a lot of people there would have never seen a Model 81! I did order some stripper clips that should work fine with both .35 Rem and .300 Sav.

Pretty soon, I'll try detail stripping the rifles to clean them up and inspect everything. I would like to disassemble the barrel sections at least once to make sure they're clean and lubed. I've seen mention of reproduction barrel nut wrenches... does anyone make a good one these days?
R MARSHALL

Post by R MARSHALL »

very nice. :D
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Matt,

Welcome to our Forum.. Happy to see pictures of your rifle and will be expecting to see the second one! ;) we will be glad to help you if we can. The only thing we can't help you with is "jackitis" and it sounds like you may be coming down with the affliction. :o :o

Regards,

jack1653
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Howdy do!
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
FrayAdjacent

Post by FrayAdjacent »

THE SECOND ONE IS HOME!

300 Savage, serial 24xxx puts it as a 1946 manufacture, but the barrel stamp is BRR, which looks like January 1946. Has the letters "DG" branded/carved on the bottom of the pistol grip.

This one has a Redfield aperture sight and the rifle appears to be a little less cosmetically good than my first one. Not by much. I noticed the rear sight is a little loose, and that the bolt won't automatically lock open... so I busted out the tools and ventured into my first disassembly.

First finding? Holy s**t this thing is DIRTY inside. Filthy! Very filthy. I'll have to get some gun scrubber and wait for a nice day to take it apart and take the bits outside or into the garage to blast out and clean up. Second, the bolt hold open is all there, it's not broken, it just looks like the back of the follower isn't quite coming up far enough to trip it.... which in turn appears to be due to a bulge in the top righthand rear of the magazine, which then seems to be causing a slight inward bend right in the corner, just enough to impede the follower. When I have it apart again, I'll see if I can use some flat bill pliers to straighten it a little bit.

Put the rifle back together, after a little consternation with the little bits locking the bolt back before I got the bolt spring in.... I figured that part out, and she's back together.

Next I removed the aperture sight, since it was wobbling a little. Looks like the screws just loosened up a bit. It tightened down well. I guess it probably worked a little loose from being shot. When I get it all cleaned up, I'll get some LocTite in there, since I don't have any plans to remove the sight. Ever.

If this one functions well and is decently accurate, I may shoot it in some Highpower Rifle matches.

BTW, I checked the barrel stamp on my first one, PSS - June of 1947, with the serial, that rifle is a 1947 manufacture rifle.
81police

Post by 81police »

you landed a pair of fine shooters!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Welcome, your Ladies look to have better finish than many I've seen. We have to remember they have been around for 75-100 years. It's easy to pick up some blemishes. One of the things that continues to surprise me is after all this time even the rough ones still function. Most of my repairs have been the result of Yahoos modifying or banging things.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey guys,
I'll have to second Carl's view of these rifles reliability. Very seldom do I find any that won't function properly, even in cold weather. However that seems to be the case with all JMB designed guns. My collection is pretty much all of his design. Browning auto -5 s were mentioned, and I have to say that I have alot of experience with them. Only when they are new or barely used condition, will they fail to work correctly. And even then it's usually because of cold weather and the wrong oil being used on the large recoil system under the forearm. The same goes for his Colt and Winchester designed firearms. I own many of all these and they are usually very bulletproof. He was a true American hero and pure genius.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com