New Member Introductions
R MARSHALL

Post by R MARSHALL »

Hello all,
New member from Arkansas here. I've just started collecting vintage hunting rifles this past year and I have a small collection of savage 99's and was wanting to branch out to a different model and while looking online I ran across this site. I have to say I had forgotten about the Great Model 8 and 81. What a neat rifle. I have always loved the sound of the Long Recoil action at work. I will be lurking and trying to learn as much as possible about this fine rifle. I already have a lead on a possibly a 81B in .300sav. Wish me luck. All you guys with the Police models I am so jealous.

Thanks,
Robert
81police

Re: New Member

Post by 81police »

welcome Robert! I too love the 300Sav, it's a meat dropper for sure!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Robert,

Glad you found us and happy to have a "razorback" join the group. The 81-B is a nice rifle and it can be pricey. If you get it, please take some pictures for us to drool over.

Regards,

jack1653
R MARSHALL

Post by R MARSHALL »

Let's say I'm hoping it's a C or B 81. It could be just another 81 with checkering added later on. The owner has agreed to sale it to me but I won't know for sure of the grade until she gets home from a trip. The gun shop I deal with bought it from a older gentleman at a gun show and they put it on their table and a friend of the owner walk by and bought it from them. So they only had it for about 15mins. The shop owner said it's the nicest one he had ever seen. Perfect checkered wood, original bluing, tang sight and .300 savage, but he could not remember if it was stamped with a B or C, he just said it was a deluxe model. So the wait is killing me.
81police

Post by 81police »

if you haven't already seen this page, I'd recommend scrolling down until you find "Model 81 B & C Grade". This will help in identifying legitimate factory checkering panels and markings. Hope you land a real cherry!

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety. ... ge_id=1051
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator