Hello and question

New Member Introductions
Ray

Hello and question

Post by Ray »

Hello,
I found this website after I recently came across a model 8 at a pawn shop. I wasn't looking for one, but the model 8 has been one of those rifles that caught my eye long ago and I was pleasantly surprised to find one locally for sale. It's in 32 remington, and I haven't had a chance to look at the bore or cycle the action, but I'm seriously considering making an offer on it. However, what should I look for before I do that? What can go wrong with them, and what signs can I look for without firing it to get an idea of it's condition? A couple things I already know are that it's not marked model 8, and it has a sling loop near the magazine. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Hardrada55

Re: Hello and question

Post by Hardrada55 »

Most pawnshops won't let you take a gun out for a test spin and probably won't guarantee "shootability" or actual correct functioning. The best way to purchase a good functioning gun is to purchase it from someone who actually shoots the gun. Buying Remington Autoloading rifles from sources you don't know and trust and haven't fire the gun themselves is a crapshoot. Some of these guns are approaching 100 years old and many have had several owners in the past by now. Many have been "tinkered" on by ignorant people. I have purchased several over the years that needed work before they would function reliably as they were designed. I didn't know that when I bought the gun. The first 81 in .300 Savage I purchased was beautiful condition, but had been reassembled incorrectly and would not function semi-automatically. Your gun being chambered in .32 Remington a scarce cartridge, most likely has not been fired by the pawnshop. I surmise that they don't know whether or not the gun is "functional". But, it never hurts to ask. I guess the best you can do is buy condition, and hope that if it looks to be in good condition, it is more likely to be "functional" and a good shooter, though I can tell you from expensive experience that is not always true. Factor probable repair costs into your budget for the purchase of this gun.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
81police

Re: Hello and question

Post by 81police »

Please share some pictures of the gun if you do end up buying it Ray! AND WELCOME! :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator