Hello from the northeastern woods! & rare case???

New Member Introductions
82Woodsman68

Hello from the northeastern woods! & rare case???

Post by 82Woodsman68 »

Hi, everyone! I'm an eclectic antiques dealer with a focus on firearms and firearm accoutrements. I love the old iron and steel and am an avid shooter. I'm off shooting at rocks or my favorite bowling pin target in the deep northeastern woods weekly.
I've been wanting on a model 8 or 81 for a long while, but have not yet stumbled upon one at the correct monetary instant. Instead, I've first located and bought what I'm near 100% certain is a custom & period craftsman made model 81 wooden recessed clamshelled case. I'd truly appreciate any help confirming whether or not I am correct as to the fit. I think the 81 has the pistol grip rather than the 8s? You'll all undoubtedly know better than I. I would love to buy the correct rifle to fit my new (old) case. Thanks for any help, all!
rps20160807_210121.jpg
rps20160807_210121.jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 10106 times
82Woodsman68

Re: Hello from the northeastern woods! & rare case???

Post by 82Woodsman68 »

Another picture of the case.
The recess is carved into a solid piece of wood and the soft grey cushion material appears to be some type of wool or felt.
rps20160807_211836.jpg
rps20160807_211836.jpg (20.66 KiB) Viewed 10101 times
81police

Post by 81police »

The original custom pelican case, haha! No doubt that case is for a Model 81, looks like one with a flatside forearm (1940-1950 mfg) perhaps
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
82Woodsman68

Post by 82Woodsman68 »

Ha! I can see where Pelican pulls inspiration from, this thing is ultra solid. It is pretty durn heavy even without an 81 in it, but I love that someone back in the befores got their 81, noted its superior build and, being proud of it, decided to HAND BUILD a case to protect specifically and only it. Wish it could talk. Have any of you ever seen a case for one of these 8's or 81's? Again, any input is truly appreciated. I'm trying to decide whether or not to simply resell this, or hold on to it and store my eventual very own 81 in it. Can't wait to get one and go for a woods shoot with it...
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

You don't see many cases like this. Truly made for the 81. I can attest to the weight issue and they are heavy. Good thing it wasn't built out of walnut because you would have to put wheels on it.

I have a case made out of a single piece of wood but the owner made it for the rifle in the take-down mode. It is more practical and easier to carry. It was cut with the profile for a model 81 just as your case. My case came with the rifle which was a 300 savage. I will see if I can find the pictures and post them.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

this may be Jack's, I can't recall.
Attachments
012.jpg
012.jpg (134.53 KiB) Viewed 10040 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Thanks 81police. That's the pictures I was talking about. The case was lined with the felt to prevent scratching. The outside of the case was covered with a synthetic leather and had a handle in the center for caring.

Regards,

jack1653
82Woodsman68

Post by 82Woodsman68 »

Ooo, I like your version, Jack! A very wieldy design. Thanks for sharing. So, so far, it seems they were, at least in two "cases", (<---see what i did there?) considered worthy of the extra effort. I had wondered if they'd possibly come from the factory in a case, but now it's looking like at least these types are aftermarket fabrications of loving owners. I wonder how they came from the factory? In cardboard as many do now? I hope more will find this thread and post their examples. Perhaps we can deduce also how these were packed at the factory for shipment to customers as well. Thanks again, all! Great forum thus far!
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Early 8s came in the "Full Monty" wood crate. The 81s came in a cardboard box broke down, One a came with my Gr D as part of a factory repair. I'd love to reproduce them for members If I could find some clean unprinted cardboard. We'd also need a 3/4" box stapler to make them realistic. It's only 3 pieces of cardboard. If you look there are photos of the box on the forum....
Phyrbird
SOKY
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I remember seeing a leather case for an 8 in take down mode. It was lined with sheep skin. That would just my style. :)
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.