Barrel number and serial number on receiver are different

New Member Introductions
duluthskank

Barrel number and serial number on receiver are different

Post by duluthskank »

My question to you, I recently purchased a model 8 Remington 35 cal. The barrel code is rp3, manufactured Nov.1923 #3 meaning it went to factory for repair. The serial number 31134 on the receiver tells me it was produced in 1912. Does this mean they changed barrels on the gun in 1923 or the gun was modefied by a past owner using two different guns? If so does this de-value my gun that I bought on-line?
81police

Re: Barrel number and serial number on receiver are differen

Post by 81police »

Hey duluthskank,

Here's how to interpret the data...your rifle was was manufactured in 1913. In November,1923 (RP3 repair code) your rifle was sent back to the factory for a repair of some kind. What repair? There's no way to know with absolute certainty.

The presence of a repair code does not affect value.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

DS, ( I refuse to call someone I just met "skank") :) :oops:
In support of your concern, I have a '09 (I think) Grade D with a "3" code from 1950. And it has a 81 barrel jacket fully engraved. :shock: To think a valid factory repair would affect value of a fine example of JMB's design and Remington's artistry could border on offensive.
Granted the wood has been in the woods. (poetic ain't it) :lol: The rifle is not pristine, it just means I can actually shoot it. 8-) The FBI Lyman 41AT receiver sight is almost as good as a scope. Plus I can pull a Quigley by cranking up the elevation for those long shots. :twisted:
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

I can pull a Quigley by cranking up the elevation for those long shots. :twisted:

Oh, but only if Quigley had a springpole...
Attachments
quiglyspringpole.jpg
quiglyspringpole.jpg (98.36 KiB) Viewed 6763 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Cam, you have done it again!! What a great photo. I don't know where you came up with this, but I'm glad you did. Sorry members ,but we have been so busy with work that I've not been making any posts here on the forum. I had a few minutes and had to comment on this photo.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Hey :!: :!: Maybe we could start a new fad :D
Not photoshopped but for real 8-) The vernier sights could be mounted on the straight shank of the tang, could they not :?: :?:
You Guys!! Take my quote and made it an evolution for our ladies :roll:
Phyrbird
SOKY