Hello from the Pacific Northwest

New Member Introductions
Old Bull

Hello from the Pacific Northwest

Post by Old Bull »

Just found this forum and it looks like a great place to spend some time and talk about a wonderful old firearm. I am working on a very nice Model 8 in 25-35 caliber with serial number that indicates 1908 production. I am just getting well acquainted with it and am sure I have much to learn from the wisdom on this forum. I reside in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, am semi retired, and enjoying learning the gunsmith trade. I was in metal fabrication and machinery design all of my career so this is right down my ally and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
Sarge756

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome from N.E. Florida !! I`ve yet to add a Model8 in 25 to my stable and yours made the same year my Dad was born would be one that would have me perking up with interest. The fun is working on them and I envy you having that one to enjoy.Wish I had it on my bench. Congrats.
If you have reviewed prior posts here you probably have seen mention of a gathering in Illinois the last weekend of July. Members here will be meeting at Jack`s farm (Jack 1653) for a couple days of shooting,trading,viewing collections and generally having a great time. Good food,good company and gun talk. We`ve not discussed it but would think we will have to come up with an appropriate prize for the member that traveled the furthest to join us. Pacific Northwest looks like a shoe in to me. Again, Welcome to the forum.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Post by 81police »

Hey metal fabrication & machinery...you can teach us a thing or two! Welcome!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Old Bull

Post by Old Bull »

Sarge756 wrote:Welcome from N.E. Florida !! I`ve yet to add a Model8 in 25 to my stable and yours made the same year my Dad was born would be one that would have me perking up with interest. The fun is working on them and I envy you having that one to enjoy.Wish I had it on my bench. Congrats.
If you have reviewed prior posts here you probably have seen mention of a gathering in Illinois the last weekend of July. Members here will be meeting at Jack`s farm (Jack 1653) for a couple days of shooting,trading,viewing collections and generally having a great time. Good food,good company and gun talk. We`ve not discussed it but would think we will have to come up with an appropriate prize for the member that traveled the furthest to join us. Pacific Northwest looks like a shoe in to me. Again, Welcome to the forum.
Joe

Joe;
Thanks for the warm welcome. It would be great fun to come to Illinois but July is already well under way and I might just have to plan for something next year. I really do enjoy road trips so it could just happen. I'm finding the model 8 is a remarkable piece of engineering and machining. It is cleaning up beautifully and when I figure out how to post pics I'll post up a couple.
Thanks
Klaus
Old Bull

Post by Old Bull »

81police wrote:Hey metal fabrication & machinery...you can teach us a thing or two! Welcome!
Sarge 756;
I'm currently learning a lot about this marvelous firearm and it looks like the biggest challenge is going to be ammunition. I do reloading but don't currently have dies or brass so searching and hoping to find some reasonably so I can reload my own and throw some lead downrange. Any suggestions in this department would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Klaus
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Phyrbird
SOKY
norm

Post by norm »

When I started reloading 25 Remington I already was loading the other Remington Rimless calibers and had a shell holder and 30 Remington brass.I loaded quite a bit of ammo before I bought the correct die set. Necked the 30 caliber brass down in a 7-08 die and then a 250 Savage die. Loaded with the 250 Savage seating die. Not an ideal situation but it worked till I could afford the correct die set. Something you are probably aware of but I'll mention it just in case. Anytime brass is necked down the neck walls get thicker which could lead lead to insufficent clearance in the chamber neck area and the bullet is not released. I made a chamber cast to find the chamber neck diameter and then measured the outside diameter of the neck of a loaded round. In my case I had enough clearance but you might not. In that case you need to thin the neck walls either by outside neck turning or inside reaming. Another way to find the diameter of the chamber neck is to tap a soft lead slug into the chamber neck. It is always best to have some specific numbers in a case like this. It eliminates the guesswork. If a person guesses wrong problems arise.