Greetings From Florida

New Member Introductions
Robinhood

Greetings From Florida

Post by Robinhood »

I have been viewing your site for awhile and have enjoyed your comments and the wealth of information you guys have on the Model 8. Mine was a hand down from my Dad through my older brother. Since he was the eldest he said he deserved to have it first. :) The serial number seems to indicate it was made in 1934 which matches the stories I have heard since a was a little boy regarding Dad's relationship with the gun. This was Dad's "meat getter". When he and mom (this was before any of us kids were born) needed meat for the pot he would go into the woods behind the house (they lived in Ft. McCoy) and kill a deer. So much easier in the 1930's than now. My model 8 has 26 notches cut in the forearm which, story has it, one for each deer over 8 points that dad killed with the rifle. Although I am aware these notches probably seriously reduce the value of the gun, the stories I now tell to my grandchildren (7 of them) more than make up for the lost value. Well enough of an old man's ramblings. I am looking forward to interacting with you guys/gals.
Sarge756

Re: Greetings From Florida

Post by Sarge756 »

It wasn`t a Model 8 but a Winchester 94 (My Grand dad`s) that we have in common due to an older brother that "deserved" it. Congrats that the 8 finally passed to you to admire and enjoy. Wish I could say the same for that old Winchester. Grandpa didn`t notch it with kills but did carve his initials in the buttstock. I`ve owned a dozen or so 94`s but would sure like to have cared for Grandpa`s rifle for awhile. Yours devalued because of the marks left behind??? I think not. I`d run my fingers across each one and let the rifle tell it`s story.
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Floridian.

Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Post by 81police »

vintage "meat getter" with some miles and stories, I call that a FINE rifle!!!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Howdy!
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.