New member to the Forum

New Member Introductions
Hester

New member to the Forum

Post by Hester »

I just recently purchased a Remington Model 8 in .35 cal off Gun Brokers from an Estate, I'm awaiting its arrival should be here Monday according to tracking. I used to own a J.C. Higgins .35 years ago and was reluctant to sell it, but my brother needed a hunting rifle so I sold it to him. I was going to buy a Marlin .35 lever action when I saw that Remington made the semi auto in .35 cal and after some extensive research on the gun I decided this was the one that I wanted. I didn't realize that ammo was so hard to get now until I started looking for some. I have bought 4 boxes so far and will probably buy some more and start loading my own. I would like to find a peep sight for it if anyone has any idea where I could find one, I've looked for a couple of days on the internet and couldn't find one. I've watched several Youtube videos on how to take the gun apart and it appears several tools are needed to take the barrel apart to clean that I don't have.
I'm an avid hunter and 3D target archer that loves the outdoors whether hunting, fishing, or camping. I've got about 5 more years left before I can retire I would like to spend some time with this gun and get to know it and do some shooting.
The Model 8 I bought was built in 1936 and appears to be in pretty good condition for its age according to the pictures. I'll give it a good looking over when it comes in and see how it functions.
I'll be looking for some guidance from time to time about the Model 8 if I have any issues with it, I'm willing to learn as much as I can about the Model 8 since I'm a Rookie Owner.

Thanks,
Eric
Hardrada55

Re: New member to the Forum

Post by Hardrada55 »

Welcome to the forum Eric. The pool of knowledge here about Model 8s and 81s is deep and I'm sure you'll find out what you need to know. Really nice, knowledgeable group of guys.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60