Introducing Myself

New Member Introductions
whiterook

Introducing Myself

Post by whiterook »

Hi, from rural Iowa. I have a Model 81 in 300 Savage and hope to accumulate another (or several more) down the road. I have taken it hunting several times; unfortunately I have never seen deer while carrying it. But it is deadly on water-filled milk jugs and cans!

I handload for 300 Savage, and my Model 81 functions well with most bullet / powder combinations that I have tried.

I look forward to learning more about my favorite rifle and to interacting with others who share my enthusiasm.

-whiterook-
81police

Re: Introducing Myself

Post by 81police »

whiterook, thanks joining! The 300Sav is such an awesome cartridge.

How long have you owned your 81 or at least been interested in 8's and 81's?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
I'm from Iowa too. I hunted with m8/81s in the late does season until last year,when they shut it down. I'm really disgusted with our DNR because of it. Let me know where you are located. Welcome aboard. You'll find that the members are helpful here.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
whiterook

Post by whiterook »

81police wrote:whiterook, thanks joining! The 300Sav is such an awesome cartridge.

How long have you owned your 81 or at least been interested in 8's and 81's?
300 Savage is indeed a terrific cartridge; a real game getter ! I personally think this cartridge is at its best with a 180 grain, round nose bullet.

I have always been interested in the history of the American West, particularly around the turn of the 19th century (1890 - 1930 era). About 35 years ago, I bought a book called Guns and the Gunfighters. Several of the chapters (about Frank Hamer and Henry Starr) featured the Model 8. I was really intrigued, as I had no idea that there were autoloading rifles in use along the American frontier. And it was such an interesting-looking rifle - so different from the Winchesters and Marlins of that time and place.

Coincidentally, this book also introduced me to the Winchester 1895 rifle, another of my favorites!

I bought my Model 81 about 4 years ago.
whiterook

Post by whiterook »

Roger wrote:Sir,
I'm from Iowa too. I hunted with m8/81s in the late does season until last year,when they shut it down. I'm really disgusted with our DNR because of it. Let me know where you are located. Welcome aboard. You'll find that the members are helpful here.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Hi Roger

I too am disappointed in the Iowa DNR for ending that January centerfire, anterless hunt in southern Iowa. I made that hunt twice and really enjoyed it.