Been a while

New Member Introductions
MTGlass

Been a while

Post by MTGlass »

Wow! It seems I joined up Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:49 pm, but haven't posted anything.

I have a Model 8 in .35 Rem. It was handed down to my Dad by my Mom's uncle in the early '60s. Dad shot several deer with it and I shot my first deer with it in the mid '70s.

One day back in the '70s, when I was in Jr. High, I stayed home from school; sick or something. I spent the day tearing that thing completely apart (except for the barrel) and putting it back together. Found an old hunting license and some lucifer matches wrapped in waxed bread wrapper inside the buttstock.

I'd like to give this thing some TLC and maybe even add a tang sight. I doubt the barrel/jacket has ever been apart.

I've got dies, brass & bullets and really should shoot it a lot more.

you'll likely find me lurking on the maintenance/troubleshooting board.

Cordially,

MTGlass
81police

Re: Been a while

Post by 81police »

Here's your belated welcome MTGlass! haha

Hey great story on your rifle and great family history. Question: do you have any vintage photos of family members holding the rifle after a hunt? I'd love to see some if so.

Thanks for signing on and posting!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Re: Been a while

Post by Sarge756 »

Well,better late than never for sure. Sounds like you have a keeper and the equipment to make it go bang. All of us would love to see some photos when you have the chance. Knowing the history of a rifle and having a connection makes it special. Interesting find you made under the buttplate. Someone was being prepared with matches and waxed paper.
While back I related here that you never know what you might find under the buttplate on an old firearm. Did a restoration of a sweet sixteen browning for an older friend years ago. Found a hundred dollar bill under the plate. Mentioned it to him and he explained about growing up through the depression and that he had gotten in the habit of hiding money. He passed away a few years later and I told his son and wife about the incident and that they should do some looking before they disposed of any of his belongings. Found several thousand dollars taped to bottom of the drawers in an old desk headed to a garage sale. Ya never know.
Welcome from N Florida and hope we hear from you again soon. Visited your state about a month ago. It was our first trip there but I feel sure won`t be the last.That is sure pretty country.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."