Just joined the other day

New Member Introductions
target

Just joined the other day

Post by target »

Well I recently joined because I just picked up a 1934 Model 8 in .35Rem from a friend at work. When I got it the poor thing was a bit cruddy but it appeared functional. I'd picked up a couple boxes of Remington rounds for it and dropped five into the magazine. Even though the gun hadn't been fired in quite a while it ran fine. I spent about 3 hours on it and cleaned it all up and it looks like a 'new' rifle. The stock had a thick layer of yellow varnish that had bubbled and cracked all over the place and was pretty uncomfortable to hold and look at. I removed it but did not sand the stock down at all. Coming from military firearms I prefer my rifles to remain 100% original with a few exceptions. Applied a healthy dose of linseed oil and such and resurrected the stock. It's all numbers matching with a pristine bore and a very sharp well defined crown. The rear sight was replaced with a Marble's Folding leaf flat top a long time ago and there is a Marble's R6 tang sight mounted that is missing the screw in aperture but that is on order from a guy on Ebay. The gun has not been drilled or tapped for a scope nor has there been any sling points added to the rifle.

The rifle belonged to my friend's dad who passed away not too long ago. He said he's letting go of the guns that he never seen his dad use often. He's not too emotionally attached to them so I managed to get this rifle. He also had a Model 8 in .32 Rem that I am going to be pick up pretty soon as well.

I'll have to get some pictures of the rifle when I have a bit more time.
81police

Re: Just joined the other day

Post by 81police »

We're glad to have ya target! I can appreciate your desire to keep your Model 8 original, as more and more years pass by, the all-original guns are less and less common.

Looking forward to seeing your rifle.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
target

Re: Just joined the other day

Post by target »

Thanks. I was a little bummed that I had to do what I did to the stock but I am not sure if that was a factory finish or not and it hindered use of the rifle.

I've also been making usable clips out of my large supply of SKS chargers. They seem to work pretty good and are much easier than single loading 5 into the magazine.