New member and proud owner of a great model 81

New Member Introductions
Hdbicker

New member and proud owner of a great model 81

Post by Hdbicker »

Hello my name is Spiro (HDBICKER)
I know hdbicker is spelled wrong but for most forums I'm on hdbiker is taken so!!!
Ive been trying for day to register on this sight and finally got approval today thanks, MANY Thanks
Im a Navy vet, 4 years than a 37 year Chicago Police Officer (retired 2005) I have had ??? 100's of firearms, 1873's 1886's You name it, but never a 8 or 81. Than a year ago___O yeah I have blued/refinished firearms over the last 40 years.
In this case I just refinished a firearm for Classic Guns in Grant Park Illinois and delivered it. Happen to look up and on the display shelf -Yup a Great Model 81 staring down at me. I couldn't believe my eyes, it looked brand new. I asked the owner if it was for sale. He said it was on consignment and the guy was asking $650. He asked if I was interested and if was he would knock his commission. I took it on the spot. I took it home and held it a long time. My wife commented that I haven't looked at her like that for a long time. But the story is not over yet.
The next day he called and told me that the guy that sold me the 81 had a box of junk that his Father used for the 81.
SEE photos. Sometimes in life you get really smiled on. All the things you see on the photo came with the deal.

Glad to see a bunch of Guys who feel like I do about a firearm-In my case the Great Remington Model 81
Sarge756

Re: New member and proud owner of a great model 81

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome. We indeed would love to see the photos. If you PM me I`ll try to walk you through the process for posting.

Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Post by 81police »

Here's Spiro (HDBICKER)'s rifle!
Attachments
IMG_0990.JPG
IMG_0990.JPG (119 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG (78.12 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
IMG_0986.JPG
IMG_0986.JPG (57.04 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
GTopp2

Post by GTopp2 »

Hello!
Great looking Model 81! I picked one up about 3 weeks ago in .300 Savage in about the same condition as yours. Mine has not been set up with sling swivels and I think I want a sling that does not use swivels. Found a couple of prospects and will decide in a day or so. Mine was made in April of 1948. My birthday is in June of 1948! Guess I was destined for this one! I found it while searching a Cabela's Gun Library in Rogers, Minnesota, for $699. Couldn't believe it as I have been looking for a nice 81 in .300 Savage for years. Bought it and it appeared at my dealer here in Hayward, Wisconsin, in just two days! So far only fired 3 rounds through it and it seems to be sighted in a bit to the right at 50 yards.
Will have photos up sooner or later....
Again, nice rifle you have!
Regards,
Greg Topp
ranman

Post by ranman »

Very nice 81, they are so hard to find now in such good shape. Welcome to the GREAT 8/81s. They are to much fun!
Hairtrigger

Post by Hairtrigger »

Thank you for sharing