New owner of 8 and 81

New Member Introductions
Johnhalf

New owner of 8 and 81

Post by Johnhalf »

Hi All. I was at my LGS a couple of months back and noticed some strange looking rifles in the rack behind the counter. As it turns out they were a model 8 in 35 rem and a model 81 in 300 savage. I had never seen them in person and went home to look them up. It was then that i found your great site and started lurking around the forums. You guys are great! I learned so much from you folks (including how to fix a problem with the model 8, more on that later). I hemmed and hawed about which rifle to buy but the model 8 was in better shape (25 years older, go figure) so it was decided. Well not really. When I went to close the deal and the model 81 kept looking at me. I could feel its disappointment. In the end they both came home with me (your warnings about these guys liking company are well founded). The model 8 is from 1915 and has the older magazine and the spring-less firing pin. The 81 is from 1940 and seems pretty typical although it has a lot of spotting on the receiver. They were both unbelievably dirty, I will post some pics as ASAP. Thanks guys for all the information here. This place is awesome! Newbie paradise.
"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." Jeff Cooper
Johnhalf

Re: New owner of 8 and 81

Post by Johnhalf »

A couple of pics of the Model 8
Attachments
receiver right small.jpg
receiver right small.jpg (180.23 KiB) Viewed 8158 times
full right small.jpg
full right small.jpg (151.79 KiB) Viewed 8158 times
"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." Jeff Cooper
81police

Post by 81police »

John! You got the sickness before you even got your feet wet! :o :shock: :mrgreen:

And.....you picked up a minty, round knob pistol grip w/ cheeked stock?! :D :D You did really good, she's a beaut.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Johnhalf

Post by Johnhalf »

John! You got the sickness before you even got your feet wet! :o :shock: :mrgreen:
Sad isn't it? I have already started making the rounds to see if there are any more in the area.........
And.....you picked up a minty, round knob pistol grip w/ cheeked stock?! :D :D You did really good, she's a beaut.
Thanks Cam! I do like her. I did not realize that this stock was that unusual.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir, You are really lucky to have just stumbled on to this beautiful round knob 35 Cal. M-8 They are pretty rare and highly desirable.
I'm actually quite fond of the round knobs myself. You have scored big here in my opinion. If you ever tire of it,let me know. I try to buy all the round knobs I can afford to buy. Before that ,just have some fun with it.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Johnhalf

Post by Johnhalf »

Roger wrote:Sir, You are really lucky to have just stumbled on to this beautiful round knob 35 Cal. M-8 They are pretty rare and highly desirable.
I'm actually quite fond of the round knobs myself. You have scored big here in my opinion. If you ever tire of it,let me know. I try to buy all the round knobs I can afford to buy. Before that ,just have some fun with it.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Hi Roger, thanks for the kind words. She really did catch my eye even before i decided to buy her.
If ever i must part company with her i will let you know first. Best JH
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

AAAWWWW Shucks, just when I was gonna suggest she would be happy here in S Ky :!: :!:

You try to talk her into another state. :lol:

John 1/2,
After all your research, and you failed to heed the warning about Jackitis :oops: Did you not read the part about no cure :?:
Welcome Sir to the rest of life with a chronic longing.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Johnhalf

Post by Johnhalf »

Phyrbird wrote:AAAWWWW Shucks, just when I was gonna suggest she would be happy here in S Ky :!: :!:

You try to talk her into another state. :lol:

John 1/2,
After all your research, and you failed to heed the warning about Jackitis :oops: Did you not read the part about no cure :?:
Welcome Sir to the rest of life with a chronic longing.
:D I did read a little about it but i scoffed at such a childish nonsense. Now it is to late. That being said what do you think the odds are that i will ever sell this cutie? She is already whispering to me about other calibers....
I thnk that should be my new signature "Welcome Sir to the rest of life with a chronic longing"
;)
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

You are right, she'll stay home and cry for more sisters. Get a larger safe. Build that man cave to rack them on the walls. Start the desperate search for reloading and ammo. It is kinda a shame there are no new ones to grow up in a family.

You do have a nice one. Yea verily ye shall not scoff, thy affliction shall be that much the worse.
Phyrbird
SOKY