gunsmith

New Member Introductions
deerslap

gunsmith

Post by deerslap »

Greetings to you all. I'm new to this forum and never been on any other forum. So please bare with me as I'm still behind the times when it comes to this social media stuff. I love the old Remington 81s, so figured this was the place to be. I'm looking at having my 81, 300 Savage worked on and would like to know if there's any qualified gunsmiths in Michigan, that know their way around one? Hopefully one around mid-state level near Lansing. I was thinking about trying Williams Gun Sight. Inc. in Davison, Mi since those guys have been making sights for the old Remington since the early days.
Any advise or direction would be appreciated.
ROBOPUMP

Re: gunsmith

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I am not sure how far it is from Lansing to Pinckney, MI is, but Bob and Jeff of S&S hunt club are experts on the Remington model 8's and 81's. Maybe not gunsmiths, but experts all the same. Check them out and I am sure they will help you out.

Be safe and enjoy life.

Robopump
deerslap

Post by deerslap »

Thanks ROBOPUMP, I've ordered parts from them off of gunbroker and they've always been great to deal with. I wish I could meet n talk with them but I'm not sure how to get ahold of them other than gunbroker. I don't want to show up on the door step and look like a Rem. 81 stalker!!
I did drop my 81, 300 Savage off at Williams though last Sun.. I'm hoping for the best. It's a really nice looking 81 so I'm hoping it can be made into a great shooter by this deer season.
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

There is Jim Green up in Maine. I nearly drove up there last week as I was in VT anyway but I just didn't have time.

I will end up shipping him my jammed Model 81 in a couple of weeks.
deerslap

Post by deerslap »

I thought about him and seen some videos, but then I seen some negative videos on him as well. But just like anything else ya can't satisfy them all. The thing is, if I lived there that probably would be a different story. This way I don't have to mess with shipping and can have an actual face to face here in Michigan.

Now depending on how Williams does on my 81 as I had a # of issues, ejecting, loose safety latch, sights misaligned and some cosmetics I may stick with them for my other 81 projects. If they turn out to be a no-go I might just have to check out Jim Green.

Thanks for the heads up on Jim though.