Hello All!

New Member Introductions
Doctor596

Hello All!

Post by Doctor596 »

Hello All,

I just picked up a 1914(333XX) Model 8 .35 at an estate sale in California. Looks like it was well used. I have yet to do a full cleaning, but it looks like the previous owner used grease. The stock is banged up, some cracks and even has added wood screws to strengthen it. I did manage to remove the stock and found that it is original with half the serial number present, while the other half is missing due to missing wood. Grease has penetrated the wood. I am planning on getting a replacement stock for use in shooting and possibly hunting. I'll post some pictures below.

Next steps:
Get a barrel takedown tool - Done! took a while to find one.
Full cleaning and degreasing
Healthy application of Frog Lube
Fit and finish replacement stock - Still have to research where to get one.
Take it to the range!
Go Hunting. - Just got a hunting license, haven't gone yet. Looking for advise and places around California.

Thanks!

-Doctor596

Phyrbird

Re: Hello All!

Post by Phyrbird »

You have a potential nice lady.
I suggest the Doctor needs to operate :) I wish the patient well.
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

Hey Doctor! Congrats on the find, if you want a hard hittin', vintage deer rifle you got one of the best, especially in .35!

Concerning replacement stocks, Bob B. with Circle B Ranch makes some of the most authentic reproduction stocks for 8's and 81's you will ever find. His email is circlebranch@cox.net

Best of luck taking the rifle out hunting, please share some pictures with us! :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Which barrel tool did you get?
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Doctor596

Post by Doctor596 »

Thanks 81police for the reference to Bob B.

Bandersnatch - I have purchased the Winchester WinChoke Spanner Wrench. Found a link in a forum post to try initially. If the rifle is in working condition after cleaning I will upgrade to a better tool.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

There's a tool on ebay that I think you will like.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Doctor596,

Welcome! That's a nice one, as I can see the diamond in the rough.

Where are you in CA? I'm in the Central Valley, near Fresno.

Regards,
Jerry
Doctor596

Post by Doctor596 »

Jerry_H,

I'm near John Wayne Airport(SNA) in Orange County.

Thanks,
Doctor596
Doctor596

Post by Doctor596 »

Update:

Receiver has been fully disassembled, cleaned, and frog-lube treated
Bolt has been fully disassembled, cleaned, and frog-lube treated
Found out this lady has the first version of firing pin with no spring. Had to punch out the pin from the bolt face. Firing pin had expanded where it impacted the retaining pin. Carefully sanded down the deformation and will polish to ensure proper function.

Happy today. Finally removed the barrel nut. I hope you all can forgive me though, the nut is a bit scratched up. Tried the Winchester tool, and it didn't work. Tried to create my own tool and failed. Then created the tool based on the impact wrench and it worked!

I inspected the shroud and found this strange metal piece had become dislodged. I discovered this piece was on the inside of the shroud where the standard rear sight would be riveted or screwed in. The rivets look to be made of lead and they had sheared leaving the internal piece floating around. I will try to clean out the lead in the metal piece to see if there are tapped for screws. Does anyone know how to reattach this piece?

Thanks.
Attachments
IMAG0135_1.jpg
IMAG0135_1.jpg (91.45 KiB) Viewed 9536 times
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Looks like you have some cleaning up to do.You are correct and should find some threads after you get the lead out of them. I have no idea what the thread pitch would be for a bottoming tap to chase them perhaps someone here does. With the part and inside of the barrel jacket cleaned to bare metal, silver solder would be my suggestion. Brownell`s high strength #44 would be what I would use. You can get a one ounce size and small container of flux for not too much $$$$ .They also have a homogenized (flux mixed) in a syringe that is handy.Brownells.com
Good Luck and welcome to our forum.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Post by 81police »

Hey Doctor596, the part of the rear sight base you had issue with wasn't listed, to my knowledge, as a separate part but Remington did sell them individually back in the day. I've never seen one fall out, but what you showed is good reason to always have filler screws installed to hold it against the jacket wall if you're not running a rear sight.

If that part is not repairable, i'd keep an eye out on gunbroker and/or ebay as it may show up. Best of luck! Doing a great job on your old "springpole"!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Oh wow, that stock does look rough! (I have similar-looking stocks though). Keep us updated and keep the pics coming. Congrats on the weapon. :D
Doctor596

Post by Doctor596 »

Thanks for the info.

I plan on dissolving the lead from the threads tonight. Then after a final clean try to track down the correct screws.

The shroud, barrel, and spring assembly have been thoroughly scrubbed down and frog-lubed. Reassembled and operates smoothly.

Last step before field test is a new stock. I will get some pics posted with before and after.

Thanks,
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

You might try contacting Robopump here on the forum. Send him a PM. I know he had some of those screws a while back and was selling them on GunBroker.

Regards,

jack1653