A great site for a new intrest

New Member Introductions
wanatim

A great site for a new intrest

Post by wanatim »

Hi All, Thanks to all the people who contribute to this site. I purchased a mod. 81 yesterday in 300 savage. I never thought much of the 8/81's in the past, kinda thought of them as fancy boat anchors.
I live and hunt in the Adirondacks of NY and very much like the history of the region. One way to connect with that history is to collect rifles that I have seen in old photos being used by hunters, and hunt with them. Over the years I have compiled quite a collection. One rifle that was hard to miss in those photos was the model 8/81. But still I resisted. Then about 6 months ago the urge to get a mod 81 hit me, out of know where. (I also developed a taste for sweet potatos and red peppers, which I previously hated) Hmmmm wonder if there's a connection?
I found your site and through it was able to do my research. I decided I wanted a mod 81 because I like the pistol grip. I scrounged 32 and 30 Rem brass In case I found a rifle in that caliber. I already reloaded for the 300 Sav. and 35 Rem so I was good there. I also wanted a rifle with some form of receiver sight as seeing barrel sights is becoming more difficult :) A friend call last week to tell me about one for sale at the local gun shop. I checked it out and I looked great. All number matched, bluing was strong and no bare spots, no pitting. The wood looked original not refinished, no chips or scratches Butt plate looks like aluminum ( was that original? rifle was made in 1948) the barrel lock screw was a little buggered and it had a nice Redfield receiver sight.......Out the door it went...... Hoping to beat the coming snow storm I hit the range. All good news. No malfunctions, and I was able to get nice 2 1/2 inch groups a 100 yds using loads that had been worked up for my 99 savage. Now I'm stoked. Deer season ended Sunday so I'll be using it as my short range coyote rifle this winter.
Again thanks to all the people who make this site possible and the contributors who have shared there research and experience. I don't think this will be my last 81
Regards, Tim
rem81auto

Re: A great site for a new intrest

Post by rem81auto »

Welcome to the madness. :D
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

Hey Tim, Wonderful to have you on this great site. You're going to be one of the very people who make this site worth coming too. I know many folks would like very much to see some of your Adirondack hunting pictures someday, if you care to share them. Many know how famous and important historically that area is in hunting circles. In my experience, the aluminum buttplate on post-WW2 Model 81s is common. I used to have one with an aluminum buttplate. My personal quest right now is for a Model 81 in .30 or .32. I already have some ammo for both. You can find rarely some Model 8 rifles with a shallow pistol grip of either the bag type or a more squared off version. Walt
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Howdy do, from Lower Alabama. :)

These shootable pogo sticks are fairly rare here in the south, the Winchester 94 being the go to gun around here in the early 20th century. But, I got bit by the bug last year and have since acquired two! Mine are in .300 SAV and .30 Rem, but .32 Rem is eccentric enough to tickle my fancy , so I may dip my toe in that particular pond sometime soon. :)
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
wanatim

Post by wanatim »

I like that "shooting pogo stick" Hay, what's the screw under the barrel?
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

wanatim,

Boing :!: boing :!: Be careful you'all get bounced right into another Model8/81 :lol: They are contagious you know.

The screw usually is for a sling swivel, I haven't made time to figure out the thread size just yet. they are floating around on ebay at times...
Phyrbird
SOKY
wanatim

Post by wanatim »

OK, so the model 81 has sling swivels. Did Remington offer the swivels as an option? or were they after market.
I see gun parts has a rear swivel stud for the 81 but nothing for the front. Back in the day what company manufactured swivels for the 81?
All right, only one more question. How far from the tow of the stock was the swivel stud usually installed.
Gees.... I has an 81 for a hot 3 days and already want to alter it. Well I'll tell you why. Took the 81 on it's first woods walk today (at least for me) put some snowy miles and would like to have a sling. Even an 8 Lb. pogo stick gets heavy after 5 miles. I was quite impressed with the 81, it snowed all day and the rifle was covered with ice. IF I had any complaint it was the rear aperture kept filling with snow but I would have the same complaint with scopes in the snow. Near dark my calling finally paid off and a coyote came in from the opposite side of a beaver pond I was on. He stopped on a log and I took the shot. I'll put him on the stretcher tomorrow. I was a little concerned that the rifle might not function with all the ice but she worked just fine. I don't think I had as much success with a rifle is so short of time as I have had with this 81 They really are GREAT guns.
Oh...... Sorry, one more question, I swear...... Should I have any concerns of water getting in between the barrel and shroud. This will be a problem for me hunting in the Adk. Thanks, Tim
norm

Post by norm »

According to John Henwood's book about the 8&81 the screw on the bottom of the barrel jacket ahead of the forearm is #10-36. At one time Micheal's of Oregon furnished a swivel. Also according to Henwood Gun Parts Corps as of 2002 had a swivel available. Part #536280. Years ago I talked to a man at a gun show who told me his dad hunted with either a 8 or 81 and the day before deer season started his dad would take out the screw in the barrel jacket and pour a little kerosene in the barrel jacket.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

According to ebay they have swivel sets available. Cheap. :)
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
wanatim

Post by wanatim »

Good info. Thanks
jim18611865

Post by jim18611865 »

Wanatim,

Do you still have the .32 and .30 brass, and if yes are you willing to part with it?
I am about to buy a lathe to start making my own .32 brass.

Jim
wanatim

Post by wanatim »

Sorry Jim, I will soon be searching for another 8/ 81 and want to have brass on hand.
I will be going to a gun shop soon that has lots of old ammo that's really buried in piles that have been there for years. Last year I found some real nice collector stuff. If I find any brass/ammo 8/81 related I'll get it, and post it here.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey wanatim,

Sounds like you are coming down with the dreaded "jackitis". No cure for it, only remission by buying another 8 or 81. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

jack1653
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Jack,

Are you sure? It sounds like commission to me. :D Commission of another act of buying frenzy. :lol:

Right now I'm thirsting after that just right trade at a show or here on the site ;)
Phyrbird
SOKY
wanatim

Post by wanatim »

Had the old girl out today but the "dogs" were not hungry.
I'm interested in the 25 Rem. as my next 8. Ammo would be my concern. I read in some posts that you can reform 30's but you have to leave a little original shoulder to resize correctly then fire form. Any help from the crowd on this would be appreciated.
Solved the sling situation by modifying an old 10/36 threaded sling stud for the front and drilling and treading in a stud for the rear. Looks good.
Gona try to push my way through the snow to get to the range today, wana try another hand load. I'll let you know how that works out.

Regards, Tim