Inherited Model 8

New Member Introductions
Marc

Inherited Model 8

Post by Marc »

Hello All

A friend of mine inherited a Model 8, 35 Rem. Looks to be built in 1908 based in the info on this site. I'll be keeping it for him as he's not a "gun guy". I'd like to give him a chance to shoot it. The gun looks well used but well cared for. Anything specific I should check before taking it out?

In any case I need to find some brass or ammo. I'm setup up for reloading, I just need to pick up some dies.

Worst case, found a description of making cases from 308 brass. Any one here doing that?

Thanks
Marc
Sarge756

Re: Inherited Model 8

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome Marc. Take a look at this post viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3902 My reply there has link to 35 from 308 and some bullets I found available.
I have not used this brass but after checking my 35 stash I plan to order a 100 or so. I have had experience with 300 Savage brass made from 308 military brass. I would agree with grumpa and his description of the military stuff being stronger and giving more reloads. I shoot the 300 Sav reloads in a 99Sav and an 81 and have had no issues.
For your Model 8 in 35Rem this brass may just be a best case scenario rather than worst.
We would love to see some photos of the 1908 Model 8.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Post by 81police »

35Rem ammo is still commercially available from the likes of Remington, Winchester, Federal, and Hornady
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Cam, With due respect, those manufacturers may still be making it but it doesn`t seem to be making it to the retail outlets or the online guys. Quick search of the net and all I found are out of stock with most like MidwayUSA not accepting backorders. If you have someone down in Texas that has it for sale you are fortunate.You must,considering how many you burn up in the videos (They are great btw).None of the outlets in N.Florida have any on the shelf. I took a look at GB and seems supply and demand is working just fine. Lowest was $2 a round and zoomed upwards from that and that didn`t include shipping.
Reloading of this caliber and many others is not only the way to ensure a steady supply of ammo but it is FUN and you save $$. I can`t think of a better one than the 35 Rem for a beginner to start with. Very easy to reload and accepts a variety of bullets including pistol and cast for paper-punchung and varmit control.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Fred

Post by Fred »

For what it's worth, I have seen both the 35rem Remington Corelokt and the Hornady LE on the shelf in the last few months. The GB stuff is outrageous, I don't know who's buying that, but its sure isn't me.

Get the converted .308WIN brass mentioned here on GM8 forums, an inexpensive Lee press and load some cast bullets. Feeding the autoloader with factory ammo will be an expensive proposition with the limited supply. Two boxes of retail ammo will provide the necessary brass and the remaining components are pretty available nowawdays.