Hello from Central Michigan

New Member Introductions
flrlayer

Hello from Central Michigan

Post by flrlayer »

I am the proud new owner of a model 8 in 32 Remington. It was made in 1907. The rifle needs a little TLC which is my winter project. I do already have a question if someone could provide some insight. Is the bolt face stamped with the caliber? I'm only wondering because my bolt face is stamped 30 and the barrel shroud is stamped 32 Remington. Thank you to all the members for any help!!
Roger

Re: Hello from Central Michigan

Post by Roger »

Sir,
Welcome aboard. You'll find the members here to be helpful and friendly. To answer your question, then25,30,32 Cal. M-8 bolts/extractors are all the same size. Some however aren't marked at all,which can be even more confusing. It would be normal for your 32 Cal. To have the 30 marking on the bolt/extractor. Usually the 300 savage and the 35 rem. ones are marked 35. Also some aren't marked at all. I personally haven't ever seen one marked 300. Maybe some other members have seen this or know something I don't. The barrel extensions are always marked with the correct caliber for that particular rifle. So your rifle would be a 32 rem. and there's no reason to worry any further about the 30 marking.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
flrlayer

Post by flrlayer »

Thank you, Roger! I completely disassembled the rifle to remove 100 plus years of yuck and I was curious about that. If it was in better shape I would only clean it up, but its pretty rough so I'm restoring it. I've repaired the cracked stock in four places and I'm currently prepping it for rust bluing. I'll post pictures as the process continues.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

There is another small difference in the bolts and extractors. Some of the "35" extractor claws are curved some are straight. Most I've seen are straight. The bolt itself differs between the 35Rem and 300Sav; the recess in the bolt for the case head is about .006 larger OD for the 300Sav. A 300Sav case does not fit in the 35Rem bolt :!: :!:
The 25-30-32 Rem case heads are all the same, so no issues there. Once again, the recess is smaller than either the 300Sav or the 35Rem bolt faces. :geek:
Phyrbird
SOKY