New Guy

New Member Introductions
Jerry_H

New Guy

Post by Jerry_H »

Hello Everyone,

I've been a long time viewer of this site but due to a reeeaaallly slow computer, and dial-up, was unable to register. Things have changed and I was able to register and am now able to post.

This is a fantastic forum with a wealth of knowledge and plenty of helpful people. I've always been a Remington guy, especially vintage rifles. I've let a couple of 8's get away from me through the years but this is what I have now.

First is an 81 in 300 Savage dated to 1941. All it needs is an original buttplate (stock has not been cut) and a rear sight filler(?) to get it back to factory as far as I can see. It has a Marble rear sight and is a great shooter. Lots of fun!

Second is an 8 that I rescued out of a safe where it sat neglected for many years. This one dates to 1909. Lots of oil and light use of 0000 steel wool has got rid of most of the rust. I have brass and dies, just need to find a buttstock and forend (actually I have a forend but it needs a lot of work) to get this one shooting.

Hoping maybe someone can help me find what I need to get these back to where they need to be.

Best Regards,
Jerry_H
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (110.65 KiB) Viewed 6799 times
002.JPG
002.JPG (133.3 KiB) Viewed 6799 times
001.JPG
001.JPG (97.48 KiB) Viewed 6799 times
Jerry_H

Re: New Guy

Post by Jerry_H »

OK. Not all of my pics posted. I'll try again.
Attachments
005.JPG
005.JPG (99.59 KiB) Viewed 6797 times
004.JPG
004.JPG (110.45 KiB) Viewed 6797 times
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

Really glad you decided to start posting, welcome to the board and thanks for the pictures. You have some very interesting projects going. When you get the .25-35 finished, you'll sure have a prime piece that many will be covetous of.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome Jerry. Glad you decided to quit lurking and joined us. You have a great start to a collection with an 81 300 Savage and the project 8 in 25-35 (25Rem). I am sure you have read already here that the 25 is the elusive and rarer caliber of our springpoles and thus a little more pricey than the others. Yours thankfully appears to be an unmolested model with no extra holes etc and with an original finish. Good job on your cleanup of the rust so far. I`m not a big fan however of using steel wool on blued metal, choosing instead what I feel is a better option. I`ve posted here before about the great results I`ve had with Frontier45 metal cleaner pads. You can find it with a search on the net and on Fleabay.
It sounds like your rescue of the 25 may have been a real bargain. If I were in your shoes I would not hesitate to contact our member, Bob Breuninger ( remcrazy) and have him provide a stock set for your rifle. I have one of his stocks and can attest that you will not find better workmanship. His sets are not the least expensive that are offered but they are well worth the extra $.
A 1909 model 8 in the rare caliber, in this condition, deserves a quality stock set.
Email may be a faster contact for him; circlebranch@cox.net
Good luck with your project. If you decide to acquire one of Bob`s stock sets and need assistance with the final finish or perhaps want to take it up a notch with checkering I`ll be standing by.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Pretty Ladies :!: :!:
Looks like the 25REM was not hurt in the safe, pity about the stocks.
Sarge is right about the supplier, Congrats and Welcome.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Thanks for the lead on a stock set. I'll be contacting Bob right away. I've waited long enough to get this one shooting. Might as well do it right.

Jerry_H
81police

Post by 81police »

great lookin hardware you got there Jerry, especially the ole 25-35, don't see those too often :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Trinidad Bill

Post by Trinidad Bill »

Welcome Jerry!

I was wondering who did stock reproductions for the Model 8s and 81s. Now I know, Bob Breuninger.

I did a quick google search on Bob which pointed me back to this forum and a thread with some great pictures of reproductions.

For the new folks, like me, here is pointer with some great pictures!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3443