New Model 8 owner

New Member Introductions
blackhawk13

New Model 8 owner

Post by blackhawk13 »

Hello, I was recently given a Remington model 8 by an old family friend. After a bit of google searching I found this website and it has been a ton of help. My rifle was manufactured in 1907 and is chambered in .30 rem. It appears to be in decent condition (minor scratching on the stock, light surface wear, etc) but looks nice overall. I'll have to get some pictures of it when I'm home from college this weekend. The action is a bit sluggish, but that's probably due to the fact that it hasn't been cleaned in a long time. The rifle originally belonged to an avid hunter, who used it as a backup/loaner rifle when hunting with friends. He since passed away and it was his wife that gave the rifle to me a few months back. From what I can tell, this rifle was one of the standard style rifles, with one exception. On the back of the receiver there is a block like shape protruding out. It has two holes in the back that look to be where some sort of sight was once attached. "REDFIELD" is also stamped into the side of it. I'll make sure to get a picture this weekend. In all the research I've done, I haven't been able to find much on it. I'm assuming that it was for some sort of rear peep sight, but I can't say for sure.

About me: I'm a freshman in college currently majoring in chemistry with a minor in materials science. I live in New Hampshire but go to school in Massachusetts. I've loved shooting since my grandfather first took me to the range when I was younger. My current rifle collection includes an AR-15 that I built last summer, a mosin nagant, my grandfather's 1976 Marlin model 60, and the model 8.

My summer project is going to be to clean up my model 8 and hopefully fire it. I am looking into reloading some rounds for it, but first I need to find some .30rem brass.
Sarge756

Re: New Model 8 owner

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome to our forum . I replied to your PM to me re the 30 Brass. Looking forward to photos of your "new" model 8 and we would be better able to advise you about the Redfield sight you mentioned.

Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Joe Snag

Post by Joe Snag »

Hello Blackhawk from the Adirondacks,would love to see a pic soon.glad you joined in.I'm hooked on old remingtons...
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing the history of your Model 8!

I'd worry more about cleaning and refreshing up the ol' girl before worrying about finding 30rem brass. Sounds like it could use a little attention though not that much. ;)

Looking forward to a picture.
blackhawk13

Post by blackhawk13 »

Fred wrote:I'd worry more about cleaning and refreshing up the ol' girl before worrying about finding 30rem brass. Sounds like it could use a little attention though not that much. ;)
That's my plan this weekend. I've already cleaned the barrel and most of the outer parts, but I plan to strip and clean the inside this weekend. The good news is that it shouldn't be too hard. All of the springs and screws are relatively clean and free of grime, so I shouldn't have too much work ahead of me. Have any recommendations for cleaners and oil for a model 8? I can't imagine that it would be any different from a modern semi-auto, but I don't want to screw anything up. My current cleaner is Hoppe's, so that should be good, followed by some gun oil, right?
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Blacky,

I suggest you check this thread, I mention some good cleaning practices.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3644&hilit=+browning+gun+oil

Welcome to our group, be careful of the Jackitis. It's not terminal but very contagious.
Seems like all of us have a embarrassing case of this disease.
Phyrbird
SOKY
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Blackhawk,

Welcome to the forum. Glad that you found us and hope that you will feel right at home with us. I think it is great that someone gave you a Model 8. That is quite a friend!

Regards,

jack1653
blackhawk13

Post by blackhawk13 »

Well, I finally got to take a few pictures of it. Sorry they aren't the best quality.

Here's one side of it. For some reason the picture of the other side isn't uploading...

The caliber markings. From what I've found, a few years after they started making the model 8 they changed it from 30-30 Remington to .30 Remington to reduce confusion with the Winchester chambering. I think it's cool that mine was marked 30-30

Here's the side view of that piece I wasn't sure about. You can see it in the first picture right off the back of the receiver.

And here's a view looking down the barrel to show the screws/holes in that part

Overall the rifle is in decent condition. The picture of the caliber markings makes it look much worse then it actually is. The case I've been storing it in is a really old rifle bag that leaves a lot of lint and fuzz on the rifle. The wood has a few small scratches all over from light use, but there aren't any big dings or scratches in it. If anyone wants any more pictures from a different angle just let me know. I'm done freshman year in a week and a half, so it won't take me too long to get them.
norm

Post by norm »

Blackhawk, If you can't find the elevation slide for that Redfield sight base I have a complete sight I would sell. The threads are stripped on my Model 8 sight mounting holes and I replaced it with a Lyman reciever sight. Those sight mounting threads are non standard I believe 10-36 which is not very available. If you can get access to Nick Strobel's book Old Gunsights that book has a LOt of information on sights especially Lyman,Marbles and Redfield. For sight parts try J A Keller Manufacturing. e-mail jakjakeller@gmail.com. I've dealt with Jim in person at gunshows here in South Dakota and he is knowledgeable and good to deal with.
blackhawk13

Post by blackhawk13 »

Sorry for the long delay, I had finals and just moved back home today. I had a nice package of brass waiting for me today, so I'll be cleaning the rifle up this week and starting to reload soon.

Norm, I just messaged you about the sight.