New and old.

New Member Introductions
visutrac

New and old.

Post by visutrac »

Well, I think I've gone and done a bad thing.

First off, I picked up an old rifle
Then i started researching it because I'd not see it before.

Then i found out it's a 1906 with a 3 digit serial number.

Now i don't want to shoot it.

So, I now need to find one to shoot.

I'm afraid that this can only end when my safe no longer has room for Model 8's and 81's.

I hope the wife doesn't divorce me.
81police

Re: New and old.

Post by 81police »

This is a common problem among Model 8 aficionados, we call it "Jackitis" in honor of a member of our group who frequently has uncontrollable bouts of 8/81 temptations. These usually end in mass purchases which seem to only temporarily relieve the insanity. What do you think Jack, any suggestions for visutrac? haha

Welcome to the forums!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

visutrac.... welcome to the never ending search for the next one. Share with us the specifics as to caliber etc. you may be interested in. I may, and sure others might have something to scratch your itch.I wouldn`t worry about shooting the 06 model though.They were made to shoot and made to last. As to the danger of "divorce" they get used to it after awhile. Also, we would love to see photos of your 3 digit rifle. You have to realize that you have run afoul of IMFUNCITY by not posting them for us to drool over. Before he jumps on here to chastise you, refer to attached:
Joe
Attachments
pictures.jpg
pictures.jpg (69.93 KiB) Viewed 9902 times
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
visutrac

Post by visutrac »

Based on what i've been able to find out so far,
this one was built early in the first year of production.
really looks good but is not wearing original finish as it looks like it was refinished in the mid 50's or so.

I'm kind of in a conundrum. I've never owned such a nice gun that i really don't want to take afield. Everything i've got are shooters. This one, well, it sits in the safe. Might be 50 more years before it gets out, whilst the other go out play.

Anyway, pics you say? Well feast your eyes.

jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey visutrac,

What a nice looking first year. :) Refinished or not, it is a great piece. Thanks for posting the pictures. Take the gun out an shoot it!! These old rifles were made to use and you certainly aren't going to hurt it. One thing about these rifles, they were built very well and they are great shooters.

Now 81police wanted to know what I thought about the urge to continually buy. Shucks I say go for it. Buy what ever you can find and don't worry about the wife. Just buy something for her once in awhile and you may be able to sneak a couple into the arsenal without her knowing it. It doesn't work for me but after 50 years I am just use to the criticism. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

visutrac,

I would agree with Jack1653, shoot the rifle (if it's in good mechanical condition). Reblued rifles typically loose a great deal of their collector value so shooting this one won't negatively affect value...but it will bring you some fun and satisfaction!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

You have redeemed yourself with all those "pitchers". Did enjoy seeing your rifle. Bet if that 06 could talk it would say " Please don`t lock me up in that dark old safe and leave me behind. I`ve been carried many miles and am ready for many more". Probably could also sing a verse or two of ' A hunting we will go....A hunting we will go......'
How proud it would be to have you post a photo with a nice buck.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
I have to agree with everyone here about shooting your great 3 digit serial # m-8. These guns were designed by JMB to hunt with and so go ahead and shoot away. I must shoot all my guns, no matter what their condition of finish is . You can't hurt these old warhorses. And on a side note,I own a 3 digit serial # m-8 that is only a few numbers away from yours.Mine is also 35 rem. And engraved with the caliber designation on the barrel jacket extension. I think that is a very interesting coincidence. Mine came from Utah. Could I ask where yours might have come from? I'll be looking forward to your response.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
visutrac

Post by visutrac »

Roger,

This one resided in Michigan's Upper Peninsula for a vast majority of it's life. It may have visited Wisconsin a few times though, but we forgave it those transgressions.
Roger

Post by Roger »

I always find it interesting to find out where these rifles have been. The previous owner of mine,said it came from his area. However,he had m-8 s from all over the western part of the U.S. My serial # is literally less than 10 digits from yours.
Thanks,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Do love those "pitures". :D

After 43yrs, I am rather fond of my better half but one does need to be realistic... there are a lot more wives then m8s... just say'n. ;)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
visutrac

Post by visutrac »

Well it was a gorgeous weekend.
And it seemed that somehow i'd "Found" a few boxes of 200gr remingtons it was time to go to the range.

She's still shooting about 4 inch groups. And I still love her.

No real targets to show as we were shooting some old paint cans, milk jugs and dead pickup trucks.